on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Stilwell family come from? What is the English Stilwell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stilwell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stilwell family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stillwell, Stilwell, Stylewell, Stylwell, Styllwell and many more.
First found in Surrey where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1324 when William Stillwell held estates.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stilwell research. Another 283 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, and 1583 are included under the topic Early Stilwell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Stilwell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stilwell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jasper Stilwell, who landed in Connecticut in 1650
- Roger Stilwell, who arrived in Virginia in 1656
Stilwell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- C W Stilwell, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- O B Stilwell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1860
Stilwell Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William A. Stilwell, aged 28, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rooparell" in 1874
- Edward Stilwell arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "British Empire" in 1880
- Mary Stilwell arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "British Empire" in 1880
- Albert Stilwell arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "British Empire" in 1880
- Frank Stilwell arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "British Empire" in 1880
- Charles Stilwell, American inventor of the paper bag which he patented in 1883
- Wilber Moore Stilwell (1908-1974), American artist
- Simpson Everett Stilwell (1850-1903), United States Army Scout, Deputy U.S. Marshal and U.S. Commissioner in Oklahoma during the American Old West
- Silas Moore Stilwell (1800-1881), American lawyer and politician
- Giles H. Stilwell, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 35th District, 1912
- Florence Stilwell, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Louisiana, 1964
- David S. Stilwell, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1988
- John M. Stilwell, American politician, Mayor of Bloomington, Illinois, 1859, 1868-69
- Stephen J. Stilwell (1866-1942), American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Senate 21st District, 1909-13
- Thomas Neel Stilwell (1830-1874), American Republican politician, Member of Indiana State House of Representatives, 1856; U.S. Representative from Indiana 11th District, 1865-67; U.S. Minister to Venezuela, 1867-68
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
The Stilwell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stilwell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 November 2015 at 09:40.
on orders of $85 or more