100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Stillwell family come from? What is the English Stillwell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stillwell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stillwell family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stillwell, Stilwell, Stylewell, Stylwell, Styllwell and many more.
First found in Surrey where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1324 when William Stillwell held estates.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stillwell research. Another 283 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, and 1583 are included under the topic Early Stillwell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Stillwell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stillwell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Nicholas Stillwell, who landed in Virginia in 1635
Stillwell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Margaret M Stillwell, who landed in Arkansas in 1893
Stillwell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Stillwell, aged 30, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Duke of Wellington"
- William Stillwell, aged 30, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Duke Of Wellington" in 1849
- Ellan Stillwell, aged 19, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Duke Of Wellington" in 1849
- Charles Stillwell arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Jenny Lind" in 1850
Stillwell Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Marriott Stillwell arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Annie Wilson" in 1863
- Eric Stillwell (b. 1962), American producer and writer that has worked on a number of television series, made-for-television movies, and motion pictures, including numerous Star Trek series and motion pictures
- Natasha Stillwell (b. 1972), American television reporter
- Frank Leslie Stillwell (1888-1963), Australian geologist and Antarctic explorer, awarded the Clarke Medal in 1951
- John C. Stillwell (b. 1942), Australian mathematician, Professor of Mathematics at the University of San Francisco
- Mr. George William Stillwell (d. 1941), British Stoker 2ne Class, who sailed into battle on the HMS Repulse and died during the sinking
- Stillwell Heritage in Arkansas, 1798-1976 by Robert Will-Fred Dhonau.
- Ash, Ashe, Stillwell by John Reid Ashe.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
The Stillwell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stillwell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 March 2015 at 18:38.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!