on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Stillwell family come from? What is the English Stillwell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stillwell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stillwell family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stillwell, Stilwell, Stylewell, Stylwell, Styllwell and many more.
First found in Surrey where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1324 when William Stillwell held estates.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stillwell research. Another 283 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, and 1583 are included under the topic Early Stillwell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Stillwell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stillwell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Nicholas Stillwell, who landed in Virginia in 1635
Stillwell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Margaret M Stillwell, who landed in Arkansas in 1893
Stillwell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Stillwell, aged 30, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Duke of Wellington"
- William Stillwell, aged 30, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Duke Of Wellington" in 1849
- Ellan Stillwell, aged 19, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Duke Of Wellington" in 1849
- Charles Stillwell arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Jenny Lind" in 1850
Stillwell Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Marriott Stillwell arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Annie Wilson" in 1863
- Ronald Roy Stillwell (1939-2016), American Major League Baseball player for the Washington Senators (1961-1962)
- Eric Stillwell (b. 1962), American producer and writer that has worked on a number of television series, made-for-television movies, and motion pictures, including numerous Star Trek series and motion pictures
- Richard Stillwell, American politician, Delegate to Ohio State Constitutional Convention from Muskingum County, 1850-51
- Russ Stillwell, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Indiana, 2008
- Samuel Stillwell, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from New York County, 1799-1800
- Silas M. Stillwell, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from New York County, 1830-33
- Smith Stillwell, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from St. Lawrence County 1st District, 1851-52
- Stephen Stillwell, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Chenango County, 1823
- V. K. Stillwell, American politician, Member of South Dakota State Senate 11th District, 1899-1902
- Walter G. Stillwell, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Missouri 1st District, 1946
- Stillwell Heritage in Arkansas, 1798-1976 by Robert Will-Fred Dhonau.
- Ash, Ashe, Stillwell by John Reid Ashe.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
The Stillwell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stillwell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 February 2016 at 13:21.
on orders of $85 or more