100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Stillwell was first found in Surrey where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1324 when William Stillwell held estates.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stillwell, Stilwell, Stylewell, Stylwell, Styllwell and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stillwell research. Another 283 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, and 1583 are included under the topic Early Stillwell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Stillwell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stillwell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Nicholas Stillwell, who landed in Virginia in 1635
Stillwell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Margaret M Stillwell, who landed in Arkansas in 1893
Stillwell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Stillwell, aged 30, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Duke of Wellington"
- William Stillwell, aged 30, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Duke Of Wellington" in 1849
- Ellan Stillwell, aged 19, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Duke Of Wellington" in 1849
- Charles Stillwell arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Jenny Lind" in 1850
Stillwell Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Marriott Stillwell arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Annie Wilson" in 1863
- Ronald Roy Stillwell (1939-2016), American Major League Baseball player for the Washington Senators (1961-1962)
- Eric Stillwell (b. 1962), American producer and writer that has worked on a number of television series, made-for-television movies, and motion pictures, including numerous Star Trek series and motion pictures
- Richard Stillwell, American politician, Delegate to Ohio State Constitutional Convention from Muskingum County, 1850-51
- Russ Stillwell, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Indiana, 2008
- Samuel Stillwell, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from New York County, 1799-1800
- Silas M. Stillwell, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from New York County, 1830-33
- Smith Stillwell, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from St. Lawrence County 1st District, 1851-52
- Stephen Stillwell, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Chenango County, 1823
- V. K. Stillwell, American politician, Member of South Dakota State Senate 11th District, 1899-1902
- Walter G. Stillwell, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Missouri 1st District, 1946
- Stillwell Heritage in Arkansas, 1798-1976 by Robert Will-Fred Dhonau.
- Ash, Ashe, Stillwell by John Reid Ashe.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
The Stillwell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stillwell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 February 2016 at 13:21.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!