at Stibbard, a village and civil parish four miles from Fakenham. The village dates back to the
where it was listed as Stabyrda and later in 1202 as Stiberde. The place name literally means "bank beside a path or road-side."
The first records of the name was Alice de Stiberd who was listed there in the
of 1273. The same reference shows Richard de Stibarde. Basil de Stiberde was listed in the Feet of Fines of 1202 and James de Stiberde was listed in the Assize Rolls of 1309.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stibbard research.Another 56 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1803 and 1756 are included under the topic Early Stibbard History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Per Ardua
Motto Translation: Through difficulties