Stelly History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Stelly family
The surname Stelly was first found in Bolgna (Latin: Bononia), the largest city and the capital of Emilia-Romagna Region. The famous University of Bolgna was founded in the 11th century, by the 13th century the student body was nearly 10,000. Dante and Petrarch studied there. Tisso was tried there for 1564 for writing satirical poems. Bologna naturally, is famous for its sausages. But many noted scholars were born there. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor.
Early History of the Stelly family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stelly research. Another 108 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1320, 1674, 1742, 1596, 1657, 1634 and 1704 are included under the topic Early Stelly History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Stelly Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stella, Stelli, Stellini, Stellino, Stellin, Stelloni, Stellon, Stellacci, Stellano, Stellari, Stellati and many more.
Early Notables of the Stelly family (pre 1700)
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stelly Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Stelly is the 9,500th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Stelly migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stelly Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Simon Stelly, who arrived in Louisiana in 1718-1724 
- Jacob Stelly, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1735 
Contemporary Notables of the name Stelly (post 1700) +
- Victor Theodore "Vic" Stelly (1941-2020), American politician, Member of the Louisiana House of Representatives (1988-2004), he died of COVID-19 complications on December 26, 2020
- Joel Stelly (b. 1984), former American NFL football player for the Chicago Bears
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)