The surname Stankowski is of Polish origin. The name is derived from the personal name
"Stanko," and means "son of Stanko."
Early Origins of the Stankowski family
The surname Stankowski was first found in Polesie, the largest province of Poland. It is inhabited by Ruthenians, called Polesians, of Ukrainian descent. The main towns are those of Brest Litovsk, Pinsk, Kobryn, Kamenets, Litovsk, and Luninets. It was in this province that the renowned Radziwills and Sapiehas held their vast estates. Wolczyn was the seat of the Czartoryski family. The surname became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Stankowski family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stankowski research.Another 294 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1516, 1560, and 1645 are included under the topic Early Stankowski History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Stankowski Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Stankewich, Stankiewicz, Stankar, Stanczewicz, Staniewicz and many more.
Early Notables of the Stankowski family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Stankowski Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Stankowski family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stankowski Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Istvan Stankowski, aged 27, who landed in America from N. Geres, Hungary, in 1905
- Franciszek Stankowski, aged 38, who landed in America from Oboz, Russia, in 1908
- Adolf Stankowski, aged 20, who emigrated to America from Kownatki, Russia, in 1909
- Stanislaw Stankowski, aged 30, who landed in America from Angustowo, Russia, in 1910
- Anna Stankowski, aged 25, who landed in America from Prenczki, Russia, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Stankowski (post 1700)
- Paul Francis Stankowski (b. 1969), American professional golfer
- Anton Stankowski (1906-1998), German graphic designer, photographer and painter