Stancil History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Stancil family
The surname Stancil was first found in Berkshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that shire.
Early History of the Stancil family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stancil research. Another 133 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1081, 1139, 1532, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Stancil History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Stancil Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stanshall, Stanshale, Stanshill, Stanshull, Stansholl, Stanhill, Stanhull, Stanall and many more.
Early Notables of the Stancil family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Stancil Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Stancil family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Wm. Stansell, who came to Virginia in 1678; John Stansell, who arrived in Virginia in 1683; as well as H. Stansell, who arrived in New York, NY in 1860..
Contemporary Notables of the name Stancil (post 1700) +
- Nathan Stancil, American politician, Member of North Carolina House of Commons from Edgecombe County, 1808 
- Lisa Joi Stancil, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Maryland, 2000 
- James C. Stancil, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from North Carolina, 1908 
- Clyde L. Stancil, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from North Carolina, 1940 
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Stancil +
- 4966 "Richard Arrow Smith of Wake Co., North Carolina" by Rebecca L. Blackwell.