100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Stagg family come from? What is the English Stagg family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stagg family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stagg family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stagg, Stagge, Staig, Stagg and others.
First found in Devon where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stagg research. Another 177 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1564, 1584, 1826 and 1792 are included under the topic Early Stagg History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Stagg Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stagg Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Wm Stagg, who arrived in America in 1635
- Fra Stagg, who landed in Virginia in 1663
- Robt Stagg, who landed in Virginia in 1664
Stagg Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Ben Stagg who settled in Pennsylvania in 1773
Stagg Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Phillip Stagg settled in New York in 1822
- John Roddam Stagg, who arrived in New York in 1843
- Clara Stagg, who arrived in New York in 1845
- A Stagg, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Daniel Stagg arrived in Philadelphia in 1865
Stagg Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Edward Stagg settled in Bona Vista, Newfoundland in 1792
Stagg Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Thomas Stagg settled at King Cove's Parish, Newfoundland in 1837
- Thomas Stagg settled in Catalina, Newfoundland in 1838
Stagg Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Charles Stagg, English convict from Norwich, Norfolk, who was transported aboard the "Anson" on September 23, 1843, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- John Stagg, aged 29, a farm labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Marion"
- William Stagg, aged 28, a farm labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Marion"
- Thomas Stagg, aged 24, a farm labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Marion"
- Charles Stagg, aged 26, a shepherd, arrived in South Australia in 1859 aboard the ship "Clara"
Stagg Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Charles Stagg, aged 23, a farmer, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Prince of Wales" in 1842
- Sarah Stagg, aged 22, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Prince of Wales" in 1842
- Tom Stagg (b. 1923), U.S. district judge in the Western District of Louisiana
- Hilary Stagg (1957-1999), American musician
- Amos Alonzo Stagg (1862-1965), American collegiate coach in multiple sports, primarily football
- Barry Stagg (b. 1944), Canadian musician, composer and play writer
- Group Captain Sir James Martin Stagg, British meteorologist who persuaded General Dwight D. Eisenhower to change the date of the Allied invasion of Europe
- Frank Stagg (1942-1976), member of the PIRA, and was convicted in 1973 in Britain of conspiracy to commit arson
- Emmet Stagg (b. 1944), Irish Labour Party politician
- David Stagg (b. 1983), Australian rugby league player
- Geoffrey Stagg, Professor and Chairman of Department of Espanic Studies, University of Toronto, Canada
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
The Stagg Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stagg Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 March 2015 at 14:33.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!