Spinella History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Spinella surname is derived from the Latin "spina," meaning "thorn bush," and was most originally born by someone who lived by a large or unusual thorn bush.
Early Origins of the Spinella family
The surname Spinella was first found in Naples, (Italian: Napoli, Latin: Neapolis) where the first bearer of the name on record is Ugone Spinelli in 1094. The name is also became common quite early in Emilia-Romagna and Venetia. The spelling variations of Spinella which end in "i" are much more common and appear in records mostly in the north, whereas the rarer variations which end in "o" are from the south.
One of the first records of the name appears as both a forename and surname, Spinello Aretino (c. 1350- c. 1410), the Italian painter from Arezzo, who was active in Tuscany at the end of the 14th and the first decennium of the 15th century. He was born Spinello Di Luca Spinelli.
Early History of the Spinella family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Spinella research. Another 64 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1387, 1453, 1475, 1546, 1094, 1694, 1763, 1594, 1659, 1628, 1699, 1646 and 1719 are included under the topic Early Spinella History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Spinella Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Spinelli, Spinello, Spiniello, Spinella, Spinetti, Spinozza, Spinozzi and many more.
Early Notables of the Spinella family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Parri Spinelli (ca. 1387-1453), an Italian painter of the early Renaissance from Tuscany; Bartolomeo Spina (born c. 1475-1546), Italian Dominican theologian and scholastic philosopher; Ugone Spinelli, who fought for Christianity in 1094 and was rewarded generously for his valor by Pope Urban II, who granted him 99 baronies, 8 count hoods, 9 marquishoods and 8 duchies; Giuseppe Spinelli (1694-1763), Italian Cardinal prefect of the Congregation for the...
Another 73 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Spinella Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Spinella is the 15,992nd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Spinella migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Spinella Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Agata Spinella, aged 1, who arrived in America from Marineo, in 1899
Spinella Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Antonino Spinella, aged 22, who arrived in America from Marineo, in 1901
- Angela Spinella, aged 17, who arrived in America from Lipari, Sicily, in 1911
- Antonino Spinella, aged 37, who arrived in America from Olivero, Italy, in 1913
- Carmela Spinella, aged 14, who arrived in America from Mazzara, Italy, in 1913
- Carmela Spinella, aged 22, who arrived in America from Giarre, Italy, in 1917
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Spinella (post 1700) +
- Ralph Spinella (1923-2021), American fencer who competed in the individual and team épée events at the 1960 Summer Olympics
- Stephen Nicholas Spinella (b. 1956), Italian-born, American stage, television, and film actor
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm