Speller History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Speller family
The surname Speller was first found in Buckinghamshire where they held a family seat from ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Speller family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Speller research. Another 123 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1591, 1637, 1649, 1692, 1730 and 1709 are included under the topic Early Speller History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Speller Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Speller, Spiller, Spiler, Speler and others.
Early Notables of the Speller family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Sir Robert Spiller (c 1591-1637), an English landowner and politician; and Sir Henry Spiller (died 1649), an English office-holder and landowner.
James Spiller (1692-1730), was an English comedian, the son of 'the' Gloucester carrier. "He was apprenticed to a landscape-painter but while he obtained some proficiency, but, soon wearying of...
Another 54 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Speller Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Speller is the 10,157th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Speller migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Speller Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- C. Speller, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1754
Speller Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joh Christoph Speller, who arrived in America in 1834 
- L Speller, aged 40, who landed in America, in 1894
Speller Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louisa Speller, aged 57, who immigrated to the United States, in 1903
- Frank N. Speller, aged 33, who landed in America, in 1908
- Sarah Speller, aged 45, who immigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1911
- Walter H. Speller, aged 45, who immigrated to America from London, England, in 1911
- Florence I. Speller, aged 31, who immigrated to America from Bristol, England, in 1915
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Speller (post 1700) +
- Frank Newman Speller III, Associate Professor Emeritus of Organ at the University of Texas at Austin, grandson of Frank Newman Speller, Sr
- Frank Newman Speller Sr. (1875-1968), Canadian-born, American metallurgical engineer, eponym of the Frank Newman Speller Award
- Frederick "Fred" Speller (1864-1940), English professional footballer who played for Great Marlow, Small Heath (1888-1894)
- Antony Kirby "Tony" Speller (b. 1929), British Conservative politician, Member of Parliament for North Devon (1979 – 1992)
- Robert "Bob" Speller PC (b. 1956), Canadian politician, Member of Canadian Parliament for Haldimand- Norfolk, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food (2003–2004)
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)