Space History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Space family
The surname Space was first found in Devon and Cornwall. Conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of the village and lands of Speccott, held by Gosbert from Theobaold FitzBerner, a Norman noble, who was recorded in the Domesday Book census of 1086. 
This very rare name has very few references. We did find that the manor Penheale, in the parish of Egloskerry, Cornwall was sold to "John Speccot, Esq. who was sheriff of Cornwall in 1662. The grandson and namesake of this John, who was one of the members for the county in three parliaments of William III. died in 1703, having settled this estate on the heirs male of his aunt Long. Thomas Long, Esq. of Penheale, was sheriff of Cornwall in the year 1724. " 
As to confirm the benevolence of the family, "the Hon. John Speccot, who possessed the manor of Penheale, gave in his will twenty shillings per annum to the labouring poor of every parish in Cornwall, where he had lands producing in high and quit rent £10 per year. The poor who were to partake of this bounty, were to be persons not actually chargeable on the parish, and such as regularly attended the prayers of the church every Sunday." 
Early History of the Space family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Space research. Another 228 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1333, 1716, 1703, 1000 and 1643 are included under the topic Early Space History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Space Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Speccot, Speycot, Spacott, Spaycott, Spacott, Spaccot, Spacoet, Spaycote, Spacote, Specote, Speckott, Speckitt and many more.
Early Notables of the Space family (pre 1700)
Another 47 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Space Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Space family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: the name represented in many forms and recorded from the mid 17th century in the great migration from Europe. Migrants settled in the eastern seaboard from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands..
Contemporary Notables of the name Space (post 1700) +
- Zachary T. Space (b. 1961), American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1996, 2008; U.S. Representative from Ohio 18th District, 2007- 
- Socrates Space, American Democrat politician, Presidential Elector for Ohio, 1996 
Related Stories +
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Hutchins, Fortescue, The History of Cornwall, from the Earliest Records and Traditions to the Present Time. London: William Penaluna, 1824. Print
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 23) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html