100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Snelling was first found in Surrey
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, and were recorded as Lords of the manor before the taking of the Domesday Book
Spelling variations of this family name include: Snelling, Snellinc, Snellin, Snellinge and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Snelling research. Another 221 words (16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Snelling History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Snelling Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Snelling Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Snelling settled in New England in 1630
- William Snelling, who arrived in Newbury, Massachusetts in 1648
- Richd Snelling, who landed in Virginia in 1653
- Richard Snelling settled in Virginia in 1653
- John Snelling, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1657
Snelling Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Franz Snelling, who arrived in New York, NY in 1782
Snelling Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mr. Snelling, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Benjamin Snelling, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
Snelling Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Henry Snelling arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Charles Kerr" in 1840
- Elizabeth Snelling, aged 21, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Epaminondas"
- Diane B. Snelling (b. 1952), American politician, Republican member of the Vermont State Senate, daughter of Barbara Tuttle Weil Snelling and Richard Arkwright Snelling
- Barbara Tuttle Weil Snelling (1928-2015), American politician, 76th Lieutenant Governor of Vermont (1993-1997), First Lady of Vermont in 1991 and (1977-1985)
- Walter Otheman Snelling (1880-1965), American chemist and explosives expert who discovered propane, recipient of the Edward Longstreth Medal (1962); Honorary Doctor of Science, Lehigh University
- William Joseph Snelling (1804-1848), American adventurer, writer, poet, and journalist
- Richard Arkwright Snelling (1927-1991), American Republican politician, Member of Vermont Republican State Executive Committee, 1963-66; Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Vermont, 1964; Governor of Vermont, 1977-85, 1991
- Norma Snelling, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Minnesota, 1984
- George Snelling, American politician, Mayor of Coffeyville, Kansas, 1921
- Charles W. Snelling, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for Texas State House of Representatives 41st District, 2008
- Barbara Weil Snelling, American Republican politician, Lieutenant Governor of Vermont, 1993-96
- Charles Melton Snelling (1862-1939), American academic, the first Chancellor or the University of Georgia
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
The Snelling Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Snelling Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 November 2015 at 09:16.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!