on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Snelling family come from? What is the English Snelling family crest and coat of arms? When did the Snelling family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Snelling family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Snelling, Snellinc, Snellin, Snellinge and others.
First found in Surrey where they held a family seat from very ancient times, and were recorded as Lords of the manor before the taking of the Domesday Book,  in 1086.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Snelling research. Another 221 words(16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Snelling History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Snelling Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Snelling Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Snelling settled in New England in 1630
- William Snelling, who arrived in Newbury, Massachusetts in 1648
- Richd Snelling, who landed in Virginia in 1653
- Richard Snelling settled in Virginia in 1653
- John Snelling, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1657
Snelling Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Franz Snelling, who arrived in New York, NY in 1782
Snelling Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mr. Snelling, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Benjamin Snelling, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
Snelling Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Henry Snelling arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Charles Kerr" in 1840
- Elizabeth Snelling, aged 21, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Epaminondas"
- Diane B. Snelling (b. 1952), American politician
- William Joseph Snelling (1804-1848), American adventurer, writer, poet, and journalist
- Walter Otheman Snelling (1880-1965), American chemist and explosives expert who discovered propane, recipient of the Edward Longstreth Medal (1962); Honorary Doctor of Science, Lehigh University
- Charles Melton Snelling (1862-1939), the first Chancellor or the University of Georgia
- Charles Frederick Theodore Snelling (b. 1937), Canadian Olympic figure skater
- Christopher Doyle Snelling (b. 1981), former Major League Baseball outfielder
- John James "Jack" Snelling (b. 1972), Australian politician
- Colonel Josiah Snelling (1782-1828), first commander of Fort Snelling, Minnesota
- Richard Arkwright Snelling (1927-1991), Governor of Vermont from 1977 to 1985
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
The Snelling Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Snelling Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 September 2014 at 05:19.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more