100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Spelling variations of this family name include: Snelling, Snellinc, Snellin, Snellinge and others.
First found in Surrey where they held a family seat from very ancient times, and were recorded as Lords of the manor before the taking of the Domesday Book,  in 1086.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Snelling research. Another 221 words (16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Snelling History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Snelling Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Snelling Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Snelling settled in New England in 1630
- William Snelling, who arrived in Newbury, Massachusetts in 1648
- Richd Snelling, who landed in Virginia in 1653
- Richard Snelling settled in Virginia in 1653
- John Snelling, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1657
Snelling Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Franz Snelling, who arrived in New York, NY in 1782
Snelling Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mr. Snelling, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Benjamin Snelling, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
Snelling Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Henry Snelling arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Charles Kerr" in 1840
- Elizabeth Snelling, aged 21, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Epaminondas"
- Diane B. Snelling (b. 1952), American politician, Republican member of the Vermont State Senate, daughter of Barbara Tuttle Weil Snelling and Richard Arkwright Snelling
- Barbara Tuttle Weil Snelling (1928-2015), American politician, 76th Lieutenant Governor of Vermont (1993-1997), First Lady of Vermont in 1991 and (1977-1985)
- Walter Otheman Snelling (1880-1965), American chemist and explosives expert who discovered propane, recipient of the Edward Longstreth Medal (1962); Honorary Doctor of Science, Lehigh University
- William Joseph Snelling (1804-1848), American adventurer, writer, poet, and journalist
- Richard Arkwright Snelling (1927-1991), American Republican politician, Member of Vermont Republican State Executive Committee, 1963-66; Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Vermont, 1964; Governor of Vermont, 1977-85, 1991
- Norma Snelling, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Minnesota, 1984
- George Snelling, American politician, Mayor of Coffeyville, Kansas, 1921
- Charles W. Snelling, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for Texas State House of Representatives 41st District, 2008
- Barbara Weil Snelling, American Republican politician, Lieutenant Governor of Vermont, 1993-96
- Charles Melton Snelling (1862-1939), American academic, the first Chancellor or the University of Georgia
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Snelling Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Snelling Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 November 2015 at 09:16.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!