on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Snelling family come from? What is the English Snelling family crest and coat of arms? When did the Snelling family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Snelling family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Snelling, Snellinc, Snellin, Snellinge and others.
First found in Surrey where they held a family seat from very ancient times, and were recorded as Lords of the manor before the taking of the Domesday Book,  in 1086.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Snelling research. Another 221 words (16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Snelling History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Snelling Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Snelling Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Snelling settled in New England in 1630
- William Snelling, who arrived in Newbury, Massachusetts in 1648
- Richd Snelling, who landed in Virginia in 1653
- Richard Snelling settled in Virginia in 1653
- John Snelling, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1657
Snelling Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Franz Snelling, who arrived in New York, NY in 1782
Snelling Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mr. Snelling, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Benjamin Snelling, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
Snelling Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Henry Snelling arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Charles Kerr" in 1840
- Elizabeth Snelling, aged 21, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Epaminondas"
- Diane B. Snelling (b. 1952), American politician, Republican member of the Vermont State Senate, daughter of Barbara Tuttle Weil Snelling and Richard Arkwright Snelling
- Barbara Tuttle Weil Snelling (1928-2015), American politician, 76th Lieutenant Governor of Vermont (1993-1997), First Lady of Vermont in 1991 and (1977-1985)
- Walter Otheman Snelling (1880-1965), American chemist and explosives expert who discovered propane, recipient of the Edward Longstreth Medal (1962); Honorary Doctor of Science, Lehigh University
- William Joseph Snelling (1804-1848), American adventurer, writer, poet, and journalist
- Richard Arkwright Snelling (1927-1991), American Republican politician, Member of Vermont Republican State Executive Committee, 1963-66; Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Vermont, 1964; Governor of Vermont, 1977-85, 1991
- Norma Snelling, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Minnesota, 1984
- George Snelling, American politician, Mayor of Coffeyville, Kansas, 1921
- Charles W. Snelling, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for Texas State House of Representatives 41st District, 2008
- Barbara Weil Snelling, American Republican politician, Lieutenant Governor of Vermont, 1993-96
- Charles Melton Snelling (1862-1939), American academic, the first Chancellor or the University of Georgia
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Snelling Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Snelling Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 November 2015 at 09:16.
on orders of $85 or more