on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Shovlin family come from? What is the English Shovlin family crest and coat of arms? When did the Shovlin family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Shovlin family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Shovel, Showl, Shovell, Shoveller, Shouler, Showler and many more.
First found in Hertfordshire, where the first record of the name was Aluricus Scoua who was listed in the Domesday Book. Leuuinus Scufe was listed c. 1067 in the reference "Old English Bynames" and Wulnod Scoue was listed as a Templar Knight in 1185. The name is probably derived from the Old English word "scufa," which means to "thrust, push." The name is often metonymic for Shoveller and it's variants. In this latter case, the name is a trade name for someone who makes "shovels." As the names are so similar phonetically, it is now difficult to clearly determine which origin is which.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shovlin research. Another 179 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1301, 1609, 1703, 1777, 1650 and 1707 are included under the topic Early Shovlin History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 39 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Shovlin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Shovlin Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Annie Shovlin, aged 20, who arrived in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1894
- Susan Shovlin, aged 22, who arrived in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1898
- Hugh Shovlin, aged 30, who arrived in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1899
- Andrew Shovlin, aged 27, who arrived in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1899
Shovlin Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ellen Shovlin, aged 23, who arrived in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1900
- John Shovlin, aged 24, who arrived in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1907
- Patrick Shovlin, aged 24, who arrived in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1907
- Catherine Shovlin, aged 24, who arrived in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1908
- Bernard Shovlin, aged 24, who arrived in America from Andara, Ireland, in 1908
- John Shovlin, American Associate Professor of History at New York University
- John Joseph Shovlin (1891-1976), American Major League Baseball second baseman who played from 1911 to 1920 for the Pittsburgh Pirates and St. Louis Browns
- Dr. Frank Shovlin, Irish professor of Irish Studies at the University of Liverpool
- Jamie Shovlin (b. 1978), British conceptual artist
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
The Shovlin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Shovlin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 May 2015 at 15:38.
on orders of $85 or more