on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Shores was first found in Derbyshire
at Mickleover where they held a family seat
from ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest
in 1066 A.D. Mickleover, at the time of the taking of the Domesday Book
in 1086, was held by Burton Abbey.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Shoore, Shore, Sure and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shores research. Another 165 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1445, 1527, 1662, 1752 and 1711 are included under the topic Early Shores History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 123 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Shores Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Shores Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Michael Shores, aged 65, who emigrated to the United States, in 1896
Shores Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ada J. Shores, aged 47, who emigrated to the United States, in 1905
- Robert J. Shores, aged 24, who landed in America, in 1905
- Kate Shores, aged 40, who landed in America from Hull, England, in 1907
- William V. Shores, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States, in 1919
- Percy Shores, aged 27, who settled in America, in 1921
- Janie Ledlow Shores (b. 1932), American retired judge on the Supreme Court of Alabama who was the first woman to ever serve on that court
- William David Shores (1904-1984), American Major League Baseball player
- Arthur Davis Shores (1904-1996), American civil rights attorney
- Del Shores (b. 1957), American film director and producer, television writer and producer
- Richard A. Shores, American professor of mathematics at Cornell University who works in recursion theory
- Sydney Shores (1913-1973), American comic book artist
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto. Motto:
Perimus licitisMotto Translation:
We perish by what is lawful.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
The Shores Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Shores Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 April 2015 at 21:03.
on orders of $85 or more