Shope History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Shope family
The surname Shope was first found in Belgium, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Liege, a province in Belgium, center of Walloon country. Within this province the notable towns are Liege, the capital city, seat of the great cathedral of St. Lambert destroyed in 1794. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into a most influential family.
Early History of the Shope family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shope research. Another 64 words (5 lines of text) covering the year 1852 is included under the topic Early Shope History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Shope Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schupp, Schuppen, Schoepen, Scoeppingk and others.
Early Notables of the Shope family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Shope Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Shope is the 7,941st most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Shope migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Shope Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Cristophel Shope, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1739
- Christophal Shope, who settled in America in 1739
- Joh Jerick Shope, who arrived in America in 1739
- Cristophel Shope, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1739 
- Johan Jerick Shope, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1739 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Shope (post 1700) +
- Thomas Ray "T.J." Shope Jr., American Republican politician, Member of the Arizona House of Representatives from the 8th district (2013) 
- Richard Shope (1901-1966), American virologist who identified influenzavirus A in pigs in 1931, recipient of the 1957 Albert Lasker Clinical Medical Research Award and the Kober Medal
- William A. Shope, American politician, Member of Missouri State House of Representatives from Jackson County 3rd District, 1907-08
- Thomas R. Shope, American politician, Mayor of Coolidge, Arizona, 2013
- Simeon P. Shope, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 1884; Justice of Illinois State Supreme Court, 1885-94
- Claudia Shope, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1996
- Charles F. Shope, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate for Missouri State House of Representatives from Carroll County, 1922
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2013, March 1) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html