A multitude of prestigious family names, such as the surname Shenkman, were formed in the lands which became the modern state of Silesia
. In the medieval era, Germany
was fragmented and inhabited by numerous Barbarian tribes, who fought amongst themselves for control of the land. The ancient dukedom of Silesia
derived its name from the Germanic tribe named the Silingers, who occupied Silesia
between the 2nd and the 6th centuries.
Early Origins of the Shenkman family
The surname Shenkman was first found in Silesia
, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from the 13th century onwards. Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal
System and the nation. The name Schenck was associated with service to many princely families, and several bearers of the name achieved prominent positions, such as Werner Schenck von Reicheneck, who was bishop of Bamberg in 1329.
Early History of the Shenkman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shenkman research.Another 329 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1764, 1660, 1711, 1788 and 1841 are included under the topic Early Shenkman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Shenkman Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Schenck, Schenk, Schencken, Schencker, Schenken, Schenker, Schaenker and many more.
Early Notables of the Shenkman family (pre 1700)
Notables of the period with the surname Shenkman were Schenk von Limburg (middle of 13th century), who was a noted German poet in the service of the Hohenstaufen Kings. Schenk von Lisseburg was also a poet... Another 36 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Shenkman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Shenkman family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Shenkman Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mendel Shenkman, aged 38, who landed in America from London, in 1904
- David Shenkman, aged 34, who emigrated to the United States from Guerrene, Russia, in 1905
- Sure Shenkman, aged 36, who settled in America from Kornlec, Russia, in 1910
- Nechame Shenkman, aged 35, who landed in America from Lusky, Russia, in 1911
- Barnet Shenkman, aged 31, who settled in America from London, England, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Shenkman (post 1700)
- Elissa Shenkman, American casting director
- Ben Shenkman, American Motion Picture Screen Cartoonists Award winning animator, known for Wizards (1977), Star Trek: The Animated Series (1973) and Coonskin (1975)
- Benjamin "Ben" Shenkman (b. 1968), American Golden Globe nominated television, film and stage actor, known for Pi (1998), Requiem for a Dream (2000) and Just Like Heaven (2005)