Shelmerdine History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Shelmerdine family
The surname Shelmerdine was first found in Cheshire
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held a family seat as a family of great antiquity in that shire.
Early History of the Shelmerdine family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shelmerdine research.Another 304 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Shelmerdine History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Shelmerdine Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Shelmerdine, Shelmerdyne, Shellmerdine, Sellmerdine, Shellmardine, Shelmardine, Selmerdine and many more.
Early Notables of the Shelmerdine family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Shelmerdine Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Shelmerdine family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Shelmerdine Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Edward Shelmerdine, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1807
- Robert Shelmerdine, who was on record in Philadelphia in 1868
Shelmerdine Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Richard Shelmerdine, aged 36, who landed in America from Sheffield, in 1906
- Anthony Shelmerdine, aged 58, who landed in America from Liverpool, England, in 1908
- Walter D. Shelmerdine, aged 27, who emigrated to America from Hale, England, in 1909
- Maude Shelmerdine, aged 35, who settled in America from Liverpool, England, in 1910
- Nathaniel Shelmerdine, aged 32, who emigrated to the United States from Worcester, England, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Shelmerdine Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Dorothea Susannah Shelmerdine, aged 32, who settled in Toronto, Canada, in 1916
Contemporary Notables of the name Shelmerdine (post 1700)
- Kirk Shelmerdine (b. 1958), American NASCAR driver and former championship-winning crew chief for Dale Earnhardt
- Neville Shelmerdine (1909-1992), English first-class cricketer
- Thomas Shelmerdine (1845-1921), English architect who was appointed to the post of City Surveyor of Liverpool at the age of 26
- Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Francis Claude Shelmerdine CIE OBE FRAeS (b. 1945), British senior officer in the Royal Flying Corps during World War I
Shelmerdine Family Crest Products