100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Sheets family come from? What is the English Sheets family crest and coat of arms? When did the Sheets family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Sheets family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Skeat, Skeath, Skate, Skeet, Skeets, Skayte and many more.
First found in Norfolk where they held a family seat. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1066 in the Domesday Book,  a census taken of Engalnd in 1086. Later, in 1273 Alan Skeet was recorded on taz rolls in that same county.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sheets research. Another 183 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1201, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Sheets History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Sheets Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sheets Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Peter Sheets, aged 60, landed in Pennsylvania in 1740
- Geo Sheets, aged 25, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1741
- John Sheets, who landed in Virginia in 1753
- Wendel Sheets, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1764
Sheets Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Michael Sheets, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848
- Henry Sheets, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848
- Jacob Sheets, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848
- G W Sheets, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Andy Sheets (b. 1971), American former Major League Baseball shortstop who played from 1996 to 2002
- Ben Sheets (b. 1978), American former Major League Baseball pitcher who played from 2001 to 2012; he won a gold medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics
- Robert "'Bob" Sheets (b. 1936), American meteorologist, Director of the National Hurricane Center from 1987 to 1995
- Millard Owen Sheets (1907-1989), American painter
- James Lee "Jim" Sheets (b. 1931), American retired businessman and former politician, Arkansas State Representative from Benton County (1967-1968)
- John Richard Sheets (1922-2003), American Roman Catholic bishop
- Kory Gerren Sheets (b. 1985), American running back for the Oakland Raiders, former CFL player; named 2013 Grey Cup Most Valuable Player (MVP)
- Larry Kent Sheets (b. 1959), American former Major League Baseball outfielder and designated hitter who played from 1984 to 1993
- Millard Owen Sheets (1907-1989), American painter and a representative of the California School of Painting
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Sheets Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Sheets Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 February 2015 at 08:26.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!