on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Sheets family come from? What is the English Sheets family crest and coat of arms? When did the Sheets family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Sheets family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Skeat, Skeath, Skate, Skeet, Skeets, Skayte and many more.
First found in Norfolk where the name dates back to the Domesday Book of 1086 where it was listed as Scet and Schett.  One of the first records of the name was Ricardus filius Schet who was listed in the Pipe Rolls of 1166 in Norfolk. A few years later the Pipe Rolls of 1201 lists Walter Sket in Shropshire.  One reference claims the name traces its origin to an Old Norse byname Skjotr which literally meant "swift."  Another reference claims that it was a baptismal name as "the son of Sket."  Yet another reference claims that it is French in origin and is a variant of Keat or Keats.  We disagree with this latter reference. Whatever the origin, the name was concentrated in Norfolk in the early years "found frequently as Sket in Norfolk and neighbouring county of Suffolk in the Hundred Rolls."  Listings in the Hundred Rolls of 1273 include: Sketh [no personal name] in Norfolk; Alan Sket and Nicholas Sket in Suffolk; and John Sket in Norfolk.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sheets research. Another 143 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1201, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Sheets History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Sheets Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sheets Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Peter Sheets, aged 60, landed in Pennsylvania in 1740
- Geo Sheets, aged 25, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1741
- John Sheets, who landed in Virginia in 1753
- Wendel Sheets, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1764
Sheets Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Michael Sheets, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848
- Henry Sheets, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848
- Jacob Sheets, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848
- G W Sheets, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Millard Owen Sheets (1907-1989), American painter and a representative of the California School of Painting
- Larry Kent Sheets (b. 1959), American former Major League Baseball outfielder and designated hitter who played from 1984 to 1993
- Kory Gerren Sheets (b. 1985), American running back for the Oakland Raiders, former CFL player; named 2013 Grey Cup Most Valuable Player (MVP)
- John Richard Sheets (1922-2003), American Roman Catholic bishop
- James Lee "Jim" Sheets (b. 1931), American retired businessman and former politician, Arkansas State Representative from Benton County (1967-1968)
- Robert "'Bob" Sheets (b. 1936), American meteorologist, Director of the National Hurricane Center from 1987 to 1995
- Ben Sheets (b. 1978), American former Major League Baseball pitcher who played from 2001 to 2012; he won a gold medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics
- Andy Sheets (b. 1971), American former Major League Baseball shortstop who played from 1996 to 2002
- Carol Sheets, American politician, Mayor of Wyoming, Michigan, 2006-07
- Aubrey T. Sheets, American politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Berrien County 1st District, 1936
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges, A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X)
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
The Sheets Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Sheets Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 October 2015 at 11:25.
on orders of $85 or more