Sheaffer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Sheaffer is German in origin. It is derived from the Middle High German term "schaffaere," which referred to the manager or steward of a household.
Early Origins of the Sheaffer family
The surname Sheaffer was first found in Hessen, where the name was closely identified in early medieval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
Early History of the Sheaffer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sheaffer research. Another 135 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1569, 1813, 1787, 1425, 1503, 1451, 1624 and 1677 are included under the topic Early Sheaffer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sheaffer Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schaeffers, Schaefer, Scheaffer, Schaefers, Schaffer, Schafer, Shaeffer, Schefer, Shaefer and many more.
Early Notables of the Sheaffer family (pre 1700)
Prominent figures of the time who bore the name Sheaffer were Peter Schöffer (c.1425-c.1503), an early German printer, and worked as a manuscript copyist in 1451; Angelus Silesius or Johann Angelus...
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sheaffer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sheaffer migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sheaffer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Frederick Sheaffer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1773 
- Henrich Sheaffer, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1789 
Sheaffer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Peter Sheaffer, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1815 
Contemporary Notables of the name Sheaffer (post 1700) +
- Charles Miller Sheaffer Jr. (1904-1989), American bronze medalist field hockey player at the 1932 Summer Olympics
- Walter A. Sheaffer (1867-1946), American businessman, founder of the W.A. Sheaffer Pen Company 1913 and inventor of the first commercially successful lever-filling fountain pen
- Danny Todd Sheaffer (b. 1961), American Major League Baseball catcher and third baseman, active from 1987 to 1997
- Robert Sheaffer (b. 1949), American freelance writer and a prominent investigator of unidentified flying objects
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)