100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
The surname Schott is derived from the proud Boernician
clans of the Scottish-English border region. The Boernicians
, along with the Strathclyde Britons
, were one of the ancient tribes of the Scottish/English Borderlands. These tribes were made up of the clans from which so many Scottish names are derived.
The surname denotes one who came from Scotland
, as in 'the Scot.' The double 't' in Scott is now the most common rendition of this name. The Scotts lived in Roxburgh
(now part of the region of Borders), Scotland.
The surname Schott was first found in Kent
, where a family of Scott have been found in Brabourne since the 14th century. Traditionally, they claim descent from Alexander, a younger brother of John de Baliol, king of Scotland
, who had settled at Chilham Castle, county Kent.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Scott, Scot and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Schott research. Another 229 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1485, 1460, 1461, 1512, 1554, 1541, 1745, 1787, 1808, 1350, 1341, 1346, 1423, 1485, 1460, 1461, 1471, 1485, 1471, 1485, 1660, 1645, 1660, 1649, 1685, 1639, 1695 and 1890 are included under the topic Early Schott History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 237 words (17 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Schott Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Schott family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 123 words (9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Schott Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Schott, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Johann Nickel Schott, who arrived in America in 1739
- Ludwig Schott, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1742
- Captain John Paul Schott (c. 1744-1829), who arrived in American before 1776, and fought in the Revolutionary War
- Freideric Schott, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1749
Schott Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Conrad Schott, who landed in America in 1832
- Kilian Schott, who landed in America in 1834
- Wilhelm, I Schott, who landed in America in 1834
- Wilhelm Schott, who landed in Galveston, Tex in 1850
- Emil Schott, who arrived in Galveston, Tex in 1850
Schott Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Alberta Schott, aged 16, landed in New York, NY in 1893
- William Walter Schott (b. 1894), American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in Frankfort, 1922-23; Palermo, 1923-24, 1924-25; Gibraltar, 1924; Naples, 1925-27; U.S. Consul in Naples, 1927-28
- Tobias Schott, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1912
- Peter Schott, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from District of Columbia, 1972, 1996
- Kirk Schott, American Republican politician, Chair of Ontonagon County Republican Party, 2007
- George P. Schott, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Ohio, 1912
- Marge Schott, American long-standing owner of the Cincinnati Red professional baseball team
- Bernhard Schott (1748-1809), founder of Schott Musis in 1770, one of the oldest German music publishers
- Ben Schott (b. 1974), British writer and author of the "Schott's Original Miscellany"
- Heinrich Wilhelm Schott (1794-1865), German botanist
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
The Schott Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Schott Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 October 2015 at 11:24.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!