on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Schipper family come from? What is the English Schipper family crest and coat of arms? When did the Schipper family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Schipper family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Shepperdson, Shipperdson, Schipperdson, Schepperdson, Shepherdson, Sheperdson, Sheppardson, Shipardson, Shepperson, Sheperson, Shiparson, Sheparson, Shepparson, Shipson, Shepson, Sheppson and many more.
First found in Durham where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 12th century. They were later found in Cumberland in 1332 when John Schephirdson held estates in that county.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Schipper research. Another 331 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1300, 1455, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Schipper History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Schipper Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Schipper Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jurig Schipper, who arrived in New York in 1709
- Andreas Schipper, who came to America in 1783
- Andreas Schipper, who landed in America in 1783
Schipper Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Vilaas Schipper, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1802
- Henry Schipper, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1838
- Herm Schipper, who landed in America in 1839
- M Joseph Schipper, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1846
- Cath Elia Schipper, who landed in America in 1846
Schipper Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Albert Louis Schipper, aged 8, who emigrated to America, in 1906
- Abe Schipper, aged 17, who emigrated to the United States, in 1906
- Anna E. Schipper, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1916
- Abraham Schipper, aged 38, who landed in America, in 1917
Schipper Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Georg Schipper, who arrived in Canada in 1777-1783
Schipper Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Louise Schipper, who landed in Quebec in 1850
- Moritz Schipper, who arrived in Quebec in 1850
- Lee Schipper (1947-2011), American physicist and energy efficiency expert
- Katherine Schipper, American accounting researcher
- Leon "Lee" Jay Schipper (1947-2011), American physicist
- Ron "Skip" Schipper (1928-2006), American college football coach
- Jakob Markus Schipper (1842-1915), German- Austrian philologist and English scholar
- Sebastian Schipper (b. 1968), German actor and movie director
- Kristofer Schipper (b. 1934), Dutch sinologist
- Jos Schipper (b. 1951), Dutch road racing cyclist
- Jakob Schipper (1842-1915), German- Austrian philologist
- Hendrikje Schipper (1890-2005), oldest Dutch person
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
The Schipper Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Schipper Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 June 2015 at 09:09.
on orders of $85 or more