Schaffner History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Schaffner is German in origin. It is derived from the Middle High German term "schaffaere," which referred to the manager or steward of a household.
Early Origins of the Schaffner family
The surname Schaffner was first found in Hessen, where the name was closely identified in early medieval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
Early History of the Schaffner family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Schaffner research. Another 135 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1569, 1813, 1787, 1425, 1503, 1451, 1624 and 1677 are included under the topic Early Schaffner History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Schaffner Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schaeffers, Schaefer, Scheaffer, Schaefers, Schaffer, Schafer, Shaeffer, Schefer, Shaefer and many more.
Early Notables of the Schaffner family (pre 1700)
Prominent figures of the time who bore the name Schaffner were Peter Schöffer (c.1425-c.1503), an early German printer, and worked as a manuscript copyist in 1451; Angelus Silesius or Johann Angelus...
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Schaffner Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Schaffner family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Andreas Schaeffer, who emigrated with his family to England or America in 1709; and Hans Georg Schafer came to Carolina or Pennsylvania in 1709; John Shaver came to Nova Scotia in 1760.
Contemporary Notables of the name Schaffner (post 1700) +
- Franklin James Schaffner (1920-1989), American film director
- First Lieutenant Dwite H. Schaffner (1889-1955), soldier in the United States Army who received the Medal of Honor for his actions during the World War I
- Louis Schaffner, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Illinois, 1876 
- D. W. Schaffner, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1928 
- Clarence D. Schaffner, American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Allegany County, 1958; Member of New York Democratic State Committee, 1964 
- Charles H. Schaffner, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Kentucky State House of Representatives 63rd District, 1975 
Related Stories +