The surname Santora was originally a nickname
bestowed upon someone who was born on All Saint's Day, the 1st of November, and is derived from the Latin "sanctorum."
Early Origins of the Santora family
The surname Santora was first found in Lucania, formerly Basilicata, is a territorial division of southern Italy which extended from Tyrrhenian sea, to the Gulf of Tarentum. It was named for Lucani who conquered it in the 5th century B.C. This large territory contained many towns and villages. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry. The family held a family seat
in Matero in Basilicata, otherwise known as Lucania. They were a distinguished noble family whose first records begin in 1198 when Eustachio Santoro was Baron
Early History of the Santora family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Santora research.Another 142 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1476, 1507, 1537, 1559, 1574, 1600, 1700, 1532, 1602, 1569 and 1649 are included under the topic Early Santora History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Santora Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Santoro, Santori, Santora, Santorelli, Santoriello, Santorini and many more.
Early Notables of the Santora family (pre 1700)
By the end of the 15th century, southern Italy was known as the Kingdom of Naples, ruled by the house of Aragon
. By the early eighteenth century, the Austrians had gained much of the region, under the rule of the Austrian
emperor Kales VI. However, in 1734, Spaniard Don Carlos defeated... Another 87 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Santora Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Santora family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Santora Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Antonio Santora, aged 39, who emigrated to the United States from Italy, in 1892
- Angelo Santora, aged 24, who landed in America, in 1894
Santora Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Bonaventura Santora, aged 34, who landed in America, in 1902
- Domenico Santora, aged 35, who landed in America from Friemara, Italy, in 1905
- Ferdinand Santora, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States from Colon, in 1905
- Agata Santora, aged 23, who emigrated to America from Popoli, Italy, in 1911
- Carmine Santora, aged 27, who settled in America from S. Lucido, Italy, in 1914
Contemporary Notables of the name Santora (post 1700)
- Charles J. Santora, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Iowa State House of Representatives from Poweshiek County, 1950
- Pete Santora, American retired professional soccer player
- Nick Santora, American writer and producer from Queens, New York, known for Prison Break (2005), Scorpion (2014) and Punisher: War Zone (2008)
- Saverio Santora (1935-1987), also known as "Sammy Black", American New York mobster with the Genovese crime family
- Jack Anthony Santora, Italian baseball player who plays for Telemarket Rimini in the Italian Baseball League