Salgado History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The mountainous borders of Spain contain the origins of the prestigious surname Salgado. The original bearer of the name Salgado, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The name Salgado is a corruption of the surname Salillas, which is derived from the Germanic word "sal," which means "building" and the diminutive ending "illas." The first bearer of this surname inhabited a large building or fortress, which was the most prominent construction of the town.
Early Origins of the Salgado family
The surname Salgado was first found in Asturias, birthplace of the Reconquest.
Early History of the Salgado family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Salgado research. Another 104 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1352, 1513, 1590, 1649, 1720, 1704 and 1680 are included under the topic Early Salgado History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Salgado Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Salinas, Salina, Sala, Salas and others.
Early Notables of the Salgado family (pre 1700)
Notable bearers of the family name Salgado were Francisco de Salinas (1513-1590), a Spanish music theorist and organist; seventeenth century poet Juan de Salinas; Alonso Jerónimo de Salas Barbadillo, seventeenth century Spanish playwright and novelist; Don Diego Esteban Gómez de Salinas y Rodríguez de Villarroel (1649-1720), the last Spanish Governor of Gibraltar; he held the post when The Rock...
Another 58 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Salgado Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Salgado is the 1,458th most popular surname with an estimated 19,896 people with that name. 
Salgado migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Salgado Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mateo Salgado, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1818 
- Rodrigo Salgado, who arrived in Cartagena in 1834 
- Francisco Salgado, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1838 
- Victor Salgado, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1840 
- Cayetano Salgado, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1844 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Salgado (post 1700) +
- Curtis Salgado (b. 1954), American blues, R&B, and soul singer-songwriter
- Jose G. Salgado, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Puerto Rico, 1952 
- Mario Antonio Salgado Jiménez (b. 1981), Chilean football striker
- Carlos Salgado (d. 2007), Honduran radio journalist and comedian
- José Luis Salgado Gómez (b. 1966), retired Mexican footballer
- Belarmino Salgado Martínez (b. 1966), retired Cuban Olympic judoka
- Sebastião Salgado (b. 1944), Brazilian social documentary photographer and photojournalist
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 21) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html