100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The prestigious surname Saiz originated in Spain. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is ez. The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. The name Saiz is derived from the extremely popular medieval given name Sancho. This given name was originally derived from the Latin name Sanctius, a derivative of "sanctus." The name owes its popularity to the fact that it was borne by a 9th century martyr of Cordova.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sánchez, Sanchez, Sans, Sanx, Sanz, Sainz, Sáenz, Saenz, Saiz, Sáez, Saez, Sánguez, Sanguez, Sánchiz and many more.
First found in Castile, where the name originated in Visigothic times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Saiz research. Another 239 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1019, 1370, 1550, and 1610 are included under the topic Early Saiz History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 247 words (18 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Saiz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Saiz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- F Manuel Saiz, aged 50, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1829
- Maximo Saiz, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1868
Saiz Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Herminegildo Saiz, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from Callermelo, Spain, in 1909
- Carlos R. Saiz, aged 31, who emigrated to America from Cienfuegos, Cuba, in 1912
- Angel Saiz, aged 21, who settled in America from Rozas, Spain, in 1912
- Maria Saiz, aged 28, who settled in America from Spain, in 1912
- Fanas Saiz, aged 27, who landed in America from Villatuerco, Spain, in 1917
- Larry Saiz, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State Senate 22nd District, 1978
- Odorico Leovigildo Saiz Pérez O.F.M. (b. 1912), Spanish Bishop of the Roman Catholic Church
- Samuel Sáiz Alonso (b. 1991), Spanish footballer
- Federico "Fede" Sáiz Villegas (b. 1912), Spanish footballer
- Manuel "Manolo" Saiz Balbás (b. 1959), Spanish former team manager of the Spanish professional road bicycle racing team Team ONCE
- Ricardo Calle Saiz, Spanish economist
- Miguel Saiz (b. 1949), Argentine politician, Governor of Río Negro Province
- Mercedes Saiz (b. 1992), Uruguay team handball player
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Saiz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Saiz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 October 2015 at 10:06.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!