Ryde History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Ryde family
The surname Ryde was first found in the West Riding of Yorkshire at Ryther, a parish, partly in the Upper, but chiefly in the Lower, division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash. 
The surname was also an occupational name for "a rider, trooper."  Another source explores the occupation more: "a forest officer, being mounted, and having the supervision of a large district." 
As far as early entries of the family, here are a few of them with various early spellings as listed in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273: Roger le Ridere in Cambridgeshire; Stephen le Ridere and Adam le Rydere in Huntingdonshire. 
Kirby's Quest listed Nicholas le Ridere in Somerset, 1 Edward III (during the first year's reign of King Edward III.)  John le Rider was listed a Freeman or York, 2 Edward III.
Early History of the Ryde family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ryde research. Another 104 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1544, 1611, 1600, 1562, 1632, 1581, 1583, 1597, 1615, 1576, 1590, 1634, 1681, 1673, 1691, 1756, 1683, 1697, 1775, 1683, 1752, 1723, 1754 and 1762 are included under the topic Early Ryde History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ryde Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ryder, Rider, Ryther and others.
Early Notables of the Ryde family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include Sir William Ryder or Rither (1544-1611), English politician, Lord Mayor of London in 1600, grandson of Thomas Ryther of Lynstead in Kent, and son of Thomas Ryther or Ryder of Mucklestone, Staffordshire. 
John Rider or Ryder (1562-1632), was an English lexicographer and Bishop of Killaloe, born at Carrington, Cheshire. He was educated at Jesus College, Oxford, where he graduated B.A. in 1581 and M.A. in 1583. From 1597 to 1615 Rider was rector of Winwick, Lancashire. At the same date as he received the appointment he became dean of St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin...
Another 124 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ryde Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ryde family to Ireland
Some of the Ryde family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 107 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ryde family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Symon Ryder settled in Virginia in 1678; James Rydie settled in Virginia in 1635; Samuel Ryder settled in Plymouth Massachusetts in 1630; John Rider settled in Barbados in 1654.
Contemporary Notables of the name Ryde (post 1700) +
- Tree Ryde, Canadian actress, known for her role in The Taste of Relation (2009)
- Steve Ryde, British two-time BAFTA Award winning, five-time BAFTA nominated producer
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Arthur, William , An Etymological Dictionary of Family and Christian Names. London: 1857. Print
- ^ Dickinson, F.H., Kirby's Quest for Somerset of 16th of Edward the 3rd London: Harrison and Sons, Printers in Ordinary to Her Majesty, St, Martin's Lane, 1889. Print.
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print