Ruggiero History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Ruggiero comes from the Italian personal name Ruggiero of Germanic origin, derived from the Old German words "hrod," or "renown," and "ger," meaning "spear."
Early Origins of the Ruggiero family
The surname Ruggiero was first found in Rome (Italian: Roma), the capital of the Kingdom of Italy. Little can be said in the space available which would do justice to the history of this beautiful city. From 1000 B.C, its history is a book of life itself. The buildings, culture, arts, cathedrals, churches, museums galleries hold untold treasures unequalled anywhere else in the world. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry. The surname Ruggiero and the English surname Rogers are of the same origin, both being derived from the Old German first name Rodger. The name Rodger is, itself, from the Old Norse "Hordgeirr," meaning "glory," or "spear." Ruggiero means, simply, "son of Roger."
Early History of the Ruggiero family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ruggiero research. Another 98 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1481, 1693, 1829, 1511, 1530, 1550, 1570, 1630, 1698, 1653, 1711, 1661, 1697, 1663, 1719, 1662 and 1717 are included under the topic Early Ruggiero History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ruggiero Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ruggero, Ruggieri, Ruggiero, Ruggier, Ruggieri, Roggeri, Roggero, Roggiero, Roglieri, Ruggero and many more.
Early Notables of the Ruggiero family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Bernardo Ruggieri, an Italian Roman Catholic prelate who served as Bishop of Sora (1511-1530); Guido Ruggeri (active 1550s), an Italian engraver, active in his native Bologna, pupil of Francesco Francia; Giulio Ruggieri, who acted as nuncio to Pope Pius V, mediating with the Polish King Sigismund in 1570; Francesco Ruggieri...
Another 56 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ruggiero Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ruggiero migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ruggiero Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Giuseppe Ruggiero, aged 39, who settled in New York in 1882
- Salvatore Ruggiero, aged 26, who arrived in New York in 1882
Ruggiero Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alfonzo Ruggiero, aged 17, who settled in America from Franeavilla, Italy, in 1906
- Angela Maria Ruggiero, aged 29, who immigrated to the United States from Reino, Benevento, Italy, in 1906
- Alfonso Ruggiero, aged 13, who landed in America from Napoli, Napoli, in 1907
- Adelaide Ruggiero, aged 7, who immigrated to the United States from Melfic, Italy, in 1907
- Agnese Ruggiero, aged 15, who settled in America from S. Valentino, Italy, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Ruggiero (post 1700) +
- Victor "Vic" Ruggiero, nicknamed Rugaroo, Bad Vic or Lord Sluggo, an American contemporary musician, songwriter and producer from New York City
- Joseph S. "Joe" Ruggiero (1934-2017), birth name of Joey Powers, an American former pop singer and songwriter from Washington, Pennsylvania
- Deborah L. "Deb" Ruggiero (b. 1958), American radio personality and politician from Jamestown, Rhode Island, Member of the Rhode Island House of Representatives (2009-)
- Angela Ruggiero (b. 1980), American former hockey player, inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, 2015
- Holly-Anne Ruggiero, American Theatre Director who lives in New York City and New Orleans, known for her work on Broadway and Off-Broadway since 2000
- Phillip S. Ruggiero, former Democratic member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- Allelon Ruggiero, American film and television actor
- Giuseppe Ruggiero (b. 1993), Italian footballer who played as a midfielder, member of the Italy U19 National Team in 2012
- Renato Ruggiero (1930-2013), Italian politician and diplomat, Italian Foreign Minister (2001)
- Guido De Ruggiero (1888-1948), Italian historian of philosophy and university professor
- ... (Another 4 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +