Royes History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Royes family
The surname Royes was first found in Kent where the name was a baptismal patronymic name which was derived from "the son of Royse." The first record for the family was that of Rothais who was listed in the Domesday Book of 1086.   Later in 1156, Rohais, wife of Gilbert de Gaunt was listed. A few years later, Roese de Lucy, wife of Fulbert de Dover was listed during the time of Henry II. These early records were always on the feminine side, but later the entries were listed for both genders.
The market-town and parish of Royston, Cambridgeshire is of particular significance to the family. "This town derived its name from a cross erected in the highway here, in the reign of William the Conqueror, by the Lady Roysia, Countess of Norfolk: the cross was called Royse's Cross; and a monastery having been established shortly afterwards by Eustachius de Mere and others, which led to the erection of houses, the place acquired the appellation of Royse's Town, whence its present name." 
Early History of the Royes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Royes research. Another 163 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1639, 1634, 1639, 1636 and 1666 are included under the topic Early Royes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Royes Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Royce, Royse, Roys and others.
Early Notables of the Royes family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Royes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Royes family to Ireland
Some of the Royes family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Royes migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Royes Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Antho Royes, who arrived in Virginia in 1657 
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)