Roussell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Roussell family
The surname Roussell was first found in Burgundy (French: Bourgogne), an administrative and historical region of east-central France where the family has been traced from ancient times.
For the next several centuries the family prospered and branched to Dauphiné where they held the lands and titles of Counts of Roussilon. In Dauphiné the family again branched and held the lands of Anjo and Annonay. During the 17th century, branches formed in Toulouse and Languedoc where many members intermarried with the distinguished families of those regions, such was the case in Languedoc on 6th October 1827, where the family head, in recognition for his dedication to the King and country, was awarded letters patent confirming his nobility on the day of his marriage.
Early History of the Roussell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Roussell research. Another 103 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1271, 1294, 1468, 1493, 1538, 1389, 1452, 1443, 1452 and 1431 are included under the topic Early Roussell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Roussell Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Roussillon, Roussillons, Rousillon, Rousillons, Roussilon, Roussilons, Russillon, Russillons, Rusillon, Rusillons, Russilon, Russilons, de Roussillon, du Roussillon, RossillonRousselot, Rousselet and many more.
Early Notables of the Roussell family (pre 1700)
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Roussell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Roussell migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Roussell Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- VanDer Roussell, who landed in America in 1783 
- Heinrich Roussell, who arrived in America in 1783 
Roussell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Valerie Roussell, aged 25, who immigrated to the United States, in 1893
- Joseph Roussell, aged 31, who landed in America, in 1893
- Odette Roussell, aged 21, who settled in America, in 1896
Roussell Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- H.F. Roussell, aged 20, who immigrated to the United States from Paris, in 1906
- Renae Roussell, aged 2, who landed in America, in 1912
- Rene Roussell, aged 2, who immigrated to the United States from Paris, France, in 1912
- Gerome A. Roussell, aged 26, who landed in America, in 1920
- Theodore Roussell, aged 29, who settled in America, in 1924
Roussell migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Roussell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mr. William Roussell who was convicted in Bristol, England for 7 years, transported aboard the "Circassian" on 4th November 1832, arriving in Tasmania (Van Diemen's Land) 
Contemporary Notables of the name Roussell (post 1700) +
- Henry Roussell (1875-1946), French silent film actor, film director and screenwriter who starred in over 40 films
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Convict Records of Australia (Retrieved 8th February 2021, retrieved from https://convictrecords.com.au/ships/circassian)