Roosa History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient and distinguished surname Roosa is derived from the Middle High German word "rose," meaning "a rose." The name may have been first borne by someone who lived near a rose garden, or by someone who lived in a house bearing the sign of the rose. Alternatively, the name may be of nickname origin, referring to someone with a "rosy" complexion. The surname is common in many European countries, including England, France, Belgium, and the Netherlands, as well as Germany, and can be found under a large number of spelling variations.
Early Origins of the Roosa family
The surname Roosa was first found in Silesia, where the name emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation. The origins of the name make it likely that several branches of the family emerged independently during the Middle Ages; there are records dating from the 13th documenting the presence of the name Roosa in Schleswig-Holstein, Pomerania, Alsace, Swabia, and Bohemia, as well as Silesia.
Early History of the Roosa family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Roosa research. Another 193 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1581, 1639, 1579, 1631, 1685, 1736, 1771, 1762, 1807, 1795, 1864, 1798 and 1873 are included under the topic Early Roosa History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Roosa Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rose, Rosse, Rhose, Roese, Roser, Roeser, Roze, Roos, Roose, Roosa, Roosen and many more.
Early Notables of the Roosa family (pre 1700)
Notables of the period with the surname Roosa were Johann Heinrich Roos (1631-1685), a German Baroque era landscape painter and etcher; Valentine Rose the elder (1736-1771) was the discoverer of "Rose's fusible metal." His son, Valentine Rose the younger (b.1762-1807), also made...
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Roosa Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Roosa is the 15,367th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Roosa migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Roosa Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Albert Heymans Roosa, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1620-1664 
Roosa Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Arie Roosa, aged 44, who arrived in New York in 1745 
Contemporary Notables of the name Roosa (post 1700) +
- Robert Vincent Roosa (1918-1993), American economist and banker, Treasury Undersecretary for Monetary Affairs
- Colonel (USAF, Ret.) Stuart Allen Roosa (1933-1994), American former NASA astronaut with over 216 hours, command module pilot for the Apollo 14 mission 
- De Witt Roosa, prominent American lawyer
- Peter B. Roosa, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Ulster County, 1805-07 
- Lester J. Roosa, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1948 
- John P. Roosa Jr., American Republican politician, Sullivan County District Attorney, 1899; Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1900 (alternate), 1904 
- Benjamin P. Roosa Jr., American politician, Member of New York State Assembly 100th District, 1973-75 
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ NASA Astronauts Homepage. (Retrieved 2010, September 27) Stuart Roosa. Retrieved from http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/roosa-sa.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 20) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html