Rodrigo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The prestigious surname Rodrigo originated in Spain, a country which has figured prominently in world affairs for hundreds of years. The name is patronymic in origin, deriving from the name of the father of the initial bearer, and its roots can be traced back to the Visigoths, the Germanic tribe who ruled Spain between the mid-5th and early 8th centuries. Rodrigo is derived from the Germanic personal name "Hrodric," which is composed of the elements "hrod," meaning "renown," and "ric," meaning "power." Thus, the name Rodrigo combines this personal name with the patronymic suffix "-ez," and refers to "a famous ruler."
Early Origins of the Rodrigo family
The surname Rodrigo was first found in Castile, where the name originated in Visigothic times.
Early History of the Rodrigo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rodrigo research. Another 151 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1194, 1199, 1228, 1300, 1380, 1410, 1440, and 1581 are included under the topic Early Rodrigo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Rodrigo Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rodríguez, Rodriguez, Rhodriquez, Rhodriguez, Rodriz, Rodríguiz, Rodriguiz, Rodrigo, Roderiz, Ruderiz, Roiz and many more.
Early Notables of the Rodrigo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family were Pedro Ruiz de Guzmán, majordomo of King Alfonso IX in 1194; Gonzalo Ruiz, who took over the same post in 1199; Rodrigo Rodríguez, Count of Castile in 1228; Gonzalo Ruiz de Cieza, a fourteenth century nobleman; Gonzalo Ruiz de Toledo, Count of Orgaz and Chancellor of Castile in the early 1300s; Juan Ruiz, Archpriest of Hita and author of the medieval Spanish masterpiece, "Libro de buen amor"; Gonzalo Rodríguez, poet and...
Another 78 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rodrigo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Rodrigo migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Rodrigo Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Francis Rodrigo, who landed in New Jersey in 1776 
- Joseph Rodrigo, who landed in New Jersey in 1776 
Rodrigo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bartolome Rodrigo, who landed in America in 1817 
- Gabriel Rodrigo, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1821 
- Aries Rodrigo, who arrived in Rio de Is Plata in 1835 
- M Rodrigo, aged 25, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1839 
- Marcelino Rodrigo, aged 30, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1839 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Rodrigo (post 1700) +
- Joaquín Rodrigo, Spanish composer and guitarist
- Fabián Rodrigo Guevara Arredondo (b. 1968), retired Chilean footballer
- Álex Rodrigo da Rosa Comelles (b. 1976), Bolivian football midfielder
- Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira (b. 1976), Brazilian mixed martial artist
- Christian Rodrigo Zurita (b. 1979), Argentine football midfielder playing for Gaziantepspor
- Andrés Rodrigo López (b. 1963), Italian cellist and conductor
- Rodrigo Oliveira de Bittencourt (b. 1983), Brazilian defensive midfielder
- Rodrigo Augusto Sartori Costa (b. 1983), Brazilian football player
- Rodrigo Miguel Reis Parreira (b. 1993), Portuguese footballer
- Rodrigo da Silva Netto (1977-2006), Brazilian musician from Rio de Janeiro
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Rodrigo +
- 18 Descendants of Jean Rodrigue and Anne LeRoy of Portugal, Canada, U.S.A. (Louisiana) by Wilma Boudreaux, Our Rodriguez and Isabel Ortega Alvarez of Spain by B.M. Rodriguez.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)