Robishaw History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Robishaw family
The surname Robishaw was first found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1441 when Richard Robertshawe held estates in that shire in the West Riding near Heptonstall. The village records are now lost. Although most historians attribute this name to Roberts (shaw) or Robert's wood, this is highly questionable. It is much more likely that this lineage, pre 1441, derived from Robesart, now extinct in the male line, a very distinguished and influential titled Norman family headed by Lord Robesart or Robsart, (Robisheau,) a Knight of the Garter about 1410 but descending from Sir. Robsert who was knighted in 1347. He held many estates in Warwickshire and Yorkshire.
Early History of the Robishaw family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Robishaw research. Another 127 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Robishaw History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Robishaw Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Robertshaw, Robertschaw, Robertshore, Robertsure, Robertshawe, Robertschawe, Robishaw, Robbishaw, Robishawe, Robertshay, Robbishay, Robishay, Robisheaux, Robishow, Robshaw, Robshawe, Robisheau, Robsart, Robsert, Robesard and many more.
Early Notables of the Robishaw family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Robishaw Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Robishaw migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Robishaw Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- The widow Robishaw, who settled in Massachusetts in 1755 with her three grown children
- Widow Robishaw, aged 57, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1755 
- Catherine Robishaw, aged 35, who landed in Massachusetts in 1755 
- Griquire Robishaw, aged 38, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1755 
- Ormon Robishaw, aged 31, who landed in Massachusetts in 1755 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)