100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the English Rider family come from? What is the English Rider family crest and coat of arms? When did the Rider family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Rider family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ryder, Rider, Ryther and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rider research. Another 207 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1562 and 1632 are included under the topic Early Rider History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Rider Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Rider family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 59 words(4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Rider Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas and Sarah Rider settled in New England in 1634
- Thomas Rider, who arrived in America in 1634
- William Rider settled in Virginia in 1639
- John Rider settled in Barbados in 1654
- Sarah Rider, who landed in Virginia in 1660
Rider Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Charles Rider, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
- Hans M. Rider, who sailed to Philadelphia in 1728
- Richard Rider, who arrived in America in 1760-1763
- William Rider, who landed in America in 1764
- George Rider, who arrived in Frederick County, Maryland in 1798
Rider Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Rider, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1862
Rider Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Christopher Rider, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1749
- John Rider, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1749-1752
Rider Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Rider, English convict from Wiltshire, who was transported aboard the "Andromeda" on November 13, 1832, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Ellen Wigram Rider arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Bolton" in 1848
- Elizabeth Rider arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Susannah" in 1849
Rider Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Jonas Brown Rider, aged 28, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Bombay" in 1842
- Mary Lucy Rider, aged 19, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Bombay" in 1842
- Mary Ellen Rider, aged 6, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Bombay" in 1842
- Jonas B. Rider, aged 4, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Bombay" in 1842
- Thomas Rider arrived in Port Nicholson aboard the ship "London" in 1842
- Fremont Rider (1885-1962), American writer and librarian
- Isaiah "J.R." Rider (b. 1971), American former National Basketball Association player
- Arthur Fremont Rider (1885-1962), American writer, poet, editor, inventor, genealogist, and librarian
- George Rider (1890-1979), American college sports coach and administrator
- Michael Rider (b. 1952), American actor, know for his roles in Road House (1989), Pulse (1988) and Platoon Leader (1988)
- Amy Rider, American actress, known for her roles in The Secret Life of the American Teenager (2008), Pluzman (2008) and Kill Speed (2010)
- Steve Rider (b. 1950), English sports presenter and anchorman
- Elizabeth Rider, English actress known for her roles in Doctors (2000), Brothers of the Head (2005) and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II-The Sith Lords (2004)
- Thomas Rider (1785-1847), British MP for Kent
- The Gorman Family History: Including the Genealogy of Their Rider and Armstrong Ancestors by Edith Lyn Mlaker.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
The Rider Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Rider Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 November 2014 at 09:43.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!