Ridenour History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Ridenour family
The surname Ridenour was first found in Radnorshire (Welsh: Sir Faesyfed), a former historic county of mid- Wales, anciently part of the kingdom of Powys, where they held a family seat. The Celtic resistance north and south along the border of Wales and England was considerably increased after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The Normans met more resistance from the Welsh than in the rest of England. The Welsh fought from behind their hills and mountains and tenaciously held their ground. Finally, Edward 1st, to placate this founding nation, conferred the principality of Wales upon his eldest son, who became Edward II. This brought Wales into England as an equal while the King was alive, and integral part of the royal title when on the throne. Edward III confirmed and all Princes of Wales were presented to the Welsh people at Caernarvon Castle. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Welsh surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1193 when John Radenoura held estates in Radnor and Herefordshire. They were allied by marriage to the Ap Reese of Washingly.
Early History of the Ridenour family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ridenour research. Another 103 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1255, 1260, 1398, 1455, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Ridenour History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ridenour Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ridenour, Ridener, Ridner, Radnor, Radnall, Redinhale, Radner, Radmall and many more.
Early Notables of the Ridenour family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Ridenour Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Ridenour is the 3,733rd most popular surname with an estimated 7,461 people with that name. 
Ridenour migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ridenour Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- S. L. Ridenour, aged 42, who landed in America, in 1906
- John Ridenour, aged 2, who settled in America, in 1907
- Raymond Ridenour, aged 22, who settled in America, in 1907
- Rose Ridenour, aged 31, who immigrated to the United States, in 1907
- C. Amelia Ridenour, aged 49, who immigrated to America, in 1908
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Ridenour (post 1700) +
- Amy Moritz Ridenour (1959-2017), American president of the National Center for Public Policy Research, a Washington, DC
- Brigadier-General Carlyle Howe Ridenour (1893-1971), American Air Inspector, Air Technical Service Command in 1944 
- Robert Ridenour (b. 1962), American professional football player
- James M. Ridenour, American director of the National Park Service from 1989 to 1993
- Louis N. Ridenour (1911-1959), American physicist instrumental in U.S. development of radar
Related Stories +