Ridehalgh History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Ridehalgh family
The surname Ridehalgh was first found in Lancashire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1324 when William de Redihalgh held estates near Preston.
Early History of the Ridehalgh family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ridehalgh research. Another 98 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1397, 1455, 1487, and 1682 are included under the topic Early Ridehalgh History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ridehalgh Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ridehalgh, Riddeough, Redihalgh, Redihough, Reidiheugh, Ridehough, Readyhough, Reddyhoff, Reddihough, Riddiough, Reddiow, Reddow, Reddihow, Redheugh, Redhalgh, Redhow, Ridhow and many more.
Early Notables of the Ridehalgh family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Ridehalgh Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ridehalgh migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ridehalgh Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Wm. S. Ridehalgh, aged 23, who immigrated to the United States, in 1896
Ridehalgh Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Walter Ridehalgh, aged 24, who immigrated to the United States, in 1906
- William Ridehalgh, aged 19, who settled in America, in 1923
- James Ridehalgh, aged 23, who landed in America from Barrowford, England, in 1923
Contemporary Notables of the name Ridehalgh (post 1700) +
- Arthur Ridehalgh QC (1907-1971), English lawyer and diplomat, Attorney General of Hong Kong (1952-1962)
- George John Miller Ridehalgh (1835-1892), English managing director of the North Lonsdale Iron and Steel Company and colonel of the 2nd Westmorland Volunteer Battalion Border Regiment, one of the founder members of the Royal Windermere Yacht Club
- Liam Mark Ridehalgh (b. 1991), English professional footballer
Related Stories +