Anglo-Saxon name Redink comes from the family having resided in the village of Reading found in the county of Berkshire. The surname Redink is a topographic surname, which was given to a person who resided near a physical feature such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree. In this case the surname was originally derived from the Old English word rydding which simply refers to an area that has been cleared.
Early Origins of the Redink family
Sussex. One of the earliest records of the surname was John of Reading (Latin: Johannes de Reading, Johannes Radingia) who died 1346. He was an English Franciscan theologian and scholastic philosopher and follower of Duns Scotus. He wrote a commentary on the Four Books of Sentences written by Peter Lombard around 1320, at the University of Oxford. In 1322, he accepted a teaching position at Avignon and it was there that he died.
Early History of the Redink family
Another 169 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1588, 1667, 1645, 1692, 1674, 1677, 1686, 1767, 1747, 1748, 1757 and 1758 are included under the topic Early Redink History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Redink Spelling Variations
hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Spelling variants included: Reading, Reding, Redding, Reddin and others.
Early Notables of the Redink family (pre 1700)
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Redink Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Redink family to the New World and Oceana
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Redinks to arrive on North American shores: Henry Readding, James Readding, Jeremy Readding and Richard Readding, who all arrived in Virginia in 1634; Miles and Joseph Reading, who came to Salem in 1630.
The Redink Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Dieu defende la droit
Motto Translation: God defends the right.
Redink Family Crest Products