Origins Available: English
The name Reddien first arose amongst the Anglo-Saxon
tribes of Britain. It is derived from their having lived in the village of Reading found in the county of Berkshire. The surname Reddien is a topographic
surname, which was given to a person who resided near a physical feature such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree. In this case the surname was originally derived from the Old English word rydding
which simply refers to an area that has been cleared
Early Origins of the Reddien family
The surname Reddien was first found in Sussex
. One of the earliest records of the surname was John of Reading (Latin: Johannes de Reading, Johannes Radingia) who died 1346. He was an English Franciscan theologian and scholastic philosopher and follower of Duns Scotus. He wrote a commentary on the Four Books of Sentences written by Peter Lombard around 1320, at the University of Oxford. In 1322, he accepted a teaching position at Avignon and it was there that he died.
Early History of the Reddien family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Reddien research.Another 169 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1588, 1667, 1645, 1692, 1674, 1677, 1686, 1767, 1747, 1748, 1757 and 1758 are included under the topic Early Reddien History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Reddien Spelling Variations
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations
under which the name Reddien has appeared include Reading, Reding, Redding, Reddin and others.
Early Notables of the Reddien family (pre 1700)
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Reddien Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Reddien family to the New World and Oceana
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England
was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England
at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Reddien arrived in North America very early: Henry Readding, James Readding, Jeremy Readding and Richard Readding, who all arrived in Virginia in 1634; Miles and Joseph Reading, who came to Salem in 1630.
The Reddien Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Dieu defende la droit
Motto Translation: God defends the right.