Anglo-Saxon names to come from Britain, Readen is one of the most ancient. The name is a result of the original family having lived in the village of Reading found in the county of Berkshire. The surname Readen is a topographic surname, which was given to a person who resided near a physical feature such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree. In this case the surname was originally derived from the Old English word rydding which simply refers to an area that has been cleared.
Early Origins of the Readen family
Sussex. One of the earliest records of the surname was John of Reading (Latin: Johannes de Reading, Johannes Radingia) who died 1346. He was an English Franciscan theologian and scholastic philosopher and follower of Duns Scotus. He wrote a commentary on the Four Books of Sentences written by Peter Lombard around 1320, at the University of Oxford. In 1322, he accepted a teaching position at Avignon and it was there that he died.
Early History of the Readen family
Another 169 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1588, 1667, 1645, 1692, 1674, 1677, 1686, 1767, 1747, 1748, 1757 and 1758 are included under the topic Early Readen History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Readen Spelling Variations
hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Readen has been spelled many different ways, including Reading, Reding, Redding, Reddin and others.
Early Notables of the Readen family (pre 1700)
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Readen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Readen family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Readens to arrive in North America: Henry Readding, James Readding, Jeremy Readding and Richard Readding, who all arrived in Virginia in 1634; Miles and Joseph Reading, who came to Salem in 1630.
The Readen Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Dieu defende la droit
Motto Translation: God defends the right.
Readen Family Crest Products