The original Gaelic form of Raftery was O Raithbheartaigh, which was modified to O Raifeartaigh. The surname is derived from the words rath bheartach meaning prosperity wielder.
, sometimes referred to as County Tyrconnel.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Raftery research.Another 63 words (4 lines of text) covering the year 1090 is included under the topic Early Raftery History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Names during the Middle Ages were often recorded under several different spelling variations
during the life of their bearers. Literacy was rare at that time and so how a person's name was recorded was decided by the individual scribe. Variations of the name Raftery include Rafferty, O'Rafferty, Raferty, Raffhery, Raffthery, Raftery, Raverty, Roarty and many more.
In the late 18th century, Irish families
began emigrating to North America in the search of a plot of land to call their own. This pattern of emigration grew steadily until the 1840s when the Great Potato Famine
of the 1840s cause thousands of Irish to flee the death and disease that accompanied the disaster. Those that made it alive to the shores of the United States and British North America (later to become Canada) were, however, instrumental in the development of those two powerful nations. Many of these Irish immigrants proudly bore the name of Raftery:
Raftery Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jane Raftery, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States from Galway, Ireland, in 1892
- Bridget Raftery, aged 26, who settled in America from Ballyhannon, in 1898
Raftery Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Hariet Raftery, who landed in America from Castlesea, in 1900
- Bdgt. Raftery, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States from Ballymahon, in 1904
- Ellen Raftery, aged 18, who landed in America from Ballyhaunis, in 1905
- John Raftery, aged 30, who landed in America from Manchester, in 1906
- Kathleen Agnes Raftery, aged 27, who emigrated to the United States from Claremons, Ireland, in 1908
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Raftery Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Raftery, aged 24, who arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Storm Cloud"
Raftery Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Mr. William Raftery, (b. 1854), aged 23, Scottish settler travelling from Glasgow aboard the ship "Oamaru" arriving in Port Chalmers, Dunedin, Otago, South Island, New Zealand on 13th January 1878, for Bluff CITATION[CLOSE]
New Zealand Yesteryears Passenger Lists 1800 to 1900 (Retrieved 26th March 2019). Retrieved from http://www.yesteryears.co.nz/shipping/passlist.html