FREE SHIPPING on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Italian Pucciano family come from? What is the Italian Pucciano family crest and coat of arms? When did the Pucciano family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Pucciano family history?A variety of distinguished and notable names have emerged from the beautiful and historical Italian region of Tuscany, including the notable surname Pucciano. During the Middle Ages, as populations grew and travel between regions became more frequent, the people of Tuscany, who were originally known only by a single name, found it necessary to adopt a second name to identify themselves and their families. This process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries, but it was not completed until the modern era. The development of Italian hereditary surnames followed general principles and were characterized by derivatives from one's given name. The patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name, was one of the most common name types found in the region of Tuscany. This system of name-making was widely used because it linked well with the existing Feudal System and during the Christian era, many people named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Pucciano came from the name Puccio, which is a variation of names such as Filippuccio and Iacopuccio.
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Pucciano include Pucci, Puccio, Puccioni, Puccinotti, Pucciarelli, Puccianti and many more.
First found in Florence (Italian: Firenze), originally the capital of Tuscany, then capital of the kingdom of Italy. On the River Arno there are numerous Florentine Churches, Museums, Galleries. It dates back to 313 A.D. The history is complex and turbulent. The de' Medici family are the notables. They were expelled in 1494 but they returned in 1512, out in 1527 and then returned. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry. The first notable family was the Pucci del Chassolino in 1108, and the Pucci detti Scarapucci in 1342. They were notable cavalieres. Records also show that Puccio di Benintendi Pucci lived in Florence as early as 1264.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pucciano research. Another 327 words(23 lines of text) covering the years 1396, 1526, 1609 and 1685 are included under the topic Early Pucciano History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 25 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Pucciano Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Early records show that people bearing the name Pucciano arrived in North America quite early: Donato Pucciarelli and Antonio Pucci, who sailed aboard the Orsola, arriving in New York from Palermo March 8, 1882; as well as Antonio Pucciarelli and Antonio Pucciarello, who arrived in New York on july 25, 1896 aboard the S.S. Olympia..
The Pucciano Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Pucciano Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 November 2012 at 11:42.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.