Priddy History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
It is thought that the Priddy surname may be one of the Welsh "patronymics," or names created from the father's name. In this case the name was derived from the Welsh "ap Ridel," or "son of Ridel," an ancient Welsh name. 
Early Origins of the Priddy family
The surname Priddy was first found in Somerset, where they held a family seat. The family name was first referenced in the year 1320 when John Priddle held estates in this county bordering Wales.
Priddy is a parish, in the union of Wells, hundred of Wells-Forum in Somerset that dates back to at least 1182 when it was first listed as Pridia and probably meant "earth house" from the Celtic word "prith" + "ti".  Steeped in ancient history, Priddy Circles, a Stone circle or Henge monument are nearby.
Early History of the Priddy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Priddy research. Another 99 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1281, 1641, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Priddy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Priddy Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Pritwell, Prittle, Priddle, Pridell, Pritell, Priddell, Pridle, Prittle, Prittell, Pridwell, Priddy, Pridley, Pridie, Pridy, Pribble, Preddle, Prebble and many more.
Early Notables of the Priddy family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Priddy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Priddy migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Priddy Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Priddy, who arrived in Virginia in 1654 
Contemporary Notables of the name Priddy (post 1700) +
- Robert L. Priddy, American businessman, founder of ValuJet and Allegiant Air
- William Reid Priddy (b. 1977), American volleyball player on the United States men's national volleyball team
- Robert Simpson "Bob" Priddy (b. 1939), retired American professional baseball player who played from 1962 to 1971
- Nancy Lee Priddy (b. 1941), American actress and singer-songwriter, known for her roles in Bewitched, The Waltons, and Matlock; mother of Christina Applegate
- Gerald Edward "Jerry" Priddy (1919-1980), American second baseman in Major League Baseball, World Series champion (1941)
- Willoughby B. Priddy, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Cayuga County 1st District, 1884-85
- Paul Priddy, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kentucky, 1956
- Dottie Priddy, American Democrat politician, Member of Kentucky State House of Representatives 45th District; Elected 1973, 1975
- Alan Priddy (b. 1953), British power boat sailor and adventurer who has circumnavigate the world in a yacht in 2008 and by 2012, he had recorded 37 world records and 12 British national records
- Penny Priddy (b. 1944), Canadian politician from British Columbia, Member of the Canadian Parliament for Surrey North (2006-2008), Minister of Women's Equality of British Columbia (1991-1996)
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)