It is thought that the Priddle surname may be one of the Welsh
"patronymics," or names created from the father's name. In this case the name was derived from the Welsh
"ap Ridel," or "son of Ridel," an ancient Welsh
name from the parish of Lillieslead, County Roxburgh.
Early Origins of the Priddle family
The surname Priddle was first found in Somerset
, where they held a family seat
. The family name was first referenced in the year 1320 when John Priddle held estates in this county bordering Wales.
Priddy is a parish, in the union of Wells, hundred of Wells-Forum in Somerset that dates back to at least 1182 when it was first listed as Pridia and probably meant "earth house" from the Celtic word "prith" + "ti". CITATION[CLOSE]
Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4) Steeped in ancient history, Priddy Circles, a Stone circle or Henge monument are nearby.
Early History of the Priddle family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Priddle research.Another 99 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1281, 1641, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Priddle History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Priddle Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Pritwell, Prittle, Priddle, Pridell, Pritell, Priddell, Pridle, Prittle, Prittell, Pridwell, Priddy, Pridley, Pridie, Pridy, Pribble, Preddle, Prebble and many more.
Early Notables of the Priddle family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Priddle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Priddle family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Priddle Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Priddle, who settled in Virginia in 1737
Priddle Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Priddle and Mark Priddle, who were both on record in the Ontario census of 1871
Contemporary Notables of the name Priddle (post 1700)
- Fred Priddle, American former collegiate men's head soccer coach at Stanford University from 1954 to 1975
- Sean Priddle (b. 1965), English former professional football midfielder who played from 1983 to 1994
- Tony Priddle (b. 1970), Australia rugby league player who played six seasons for the St. George Dragons (1990-1995)
- Bill Priddle, Canadian rock guitarist who has been associated with the bands Treble Charger and Don Vail
Priddle Family Crest Products
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)