100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Spelling variations of this family name include: Poulter, Poulterer, Puleter, Pulter, Powlter and many more.
First found in Hertfordshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that county.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Poulter research. Another 285 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1504, 1546, 1547, 147., 1541, 1455, 1487, 1605, 1678 and 1996 are included under the topic Early Poulter History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 47 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Poulter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Poulter Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Poulter, who arrived in Maryland in 1657
- John Poulter, who landed in New England in 1657
- Thomas Poulter, who arrived in Virginia in 1661
- Charles Poulter, who landed in Maryland in 1676
- Jane Poulter, who arrived in Maryland in 1678
Poulter Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Eliza Poulter, aged 30, who landed in America from Durham, in 1892
Poulter Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alfred Poulter, aged 14, who settled in America from England, in 1904
- Ellen Poulter, aged 32, who emigrated to the United States from Bury St. Edmunds, England, in 1907
- Annie Poulter, aged 36, who emigrated to the United States from Woking, England, in 1913
- Arthur Poulter, aged 24, who landed in America from Plumpton, England, in 1913
- Edith Rosa Poulter, aged 32, who emigrated to America from Burton, England, in 1914
Poulter Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- George Poulter, aged 62, who emigrated to Montreal, Canada, in 1910
- Florence Poulter, aged 25, who emigrated to Calgary, Canada, in 1913
Poulter Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Alfred Poulter arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Royal Admiral" in 1838
- George Poulter, English convict from Southampton, who was transported aboard the "Anson" on September 23, 1843, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
Poulter Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Samuel Poulter landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- Samuel Poulter, aged 21, a farm labourer, arrived in Port Nicholson aboard the ship "London" in 1842
- Mahalah Poulter, aged 20, arrived in Port Nicholson aboard the ship "London" in 1842
- Henry Poulter arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Asterope" in 1865
- Preston Poulter, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for Texas State House of Representatives 115th District, 2008, 2012
- Marlene Clark Poulter, American television soap opera writer
- Arthur Poulter (1893-1956), English recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Ray Poulter (b. 1929), Australian rules football player
- Ian Poulter (b. 1976), British PGA golfer
- Sebastian Poulter (d. 1998), British legal scholar
- Thomas "Doc Poulter" Poulter (1897-1978), British Arctic explorer
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
The Poulter Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Poulter Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2015 at 10:07.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!