100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Poppleton surname is a habitational (local) name taken on from any of several place names in West Yorkshire
. These place names derive from the Old English words "popel," which is thought to have meant "pebble," and "wella" which meant a "spring," or "stream."
The surname Poppleton was first found in Yorkshire
at either Upper Poppleton or Nether Poppleton, villages and civil parishes that date back to Saxon times. The first record of the place name was found in c. 972 when it was listed as Popeltune. By the time of the Domesday Book
of 1086, the place was listed as Popletone. At that time, the villages and lands were given by Osbern De Arches to the Abbot of St Mary's in York. The name is derived from popel (pebble) and tun (hamlet, farm), and means "farmstead on pebbly soil." 
. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 14th century when John of Popplewell held estates in that shire 1316.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Popplewell, Poplewell, Poplewell, Popplewel, Popple, Popplehale, Pophull, Pophull and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Poppleton research. Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1455, 1487, 1638, 1638 and 1708 are included under the topic Early Poppleton History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 51 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Poppleton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Poppleton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas H Poppleton, aged 47, landed in New York in 1812
- Jno Poppleton, aged 36, arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1851
Poppleton Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Helen Poppleton, aged 36, who landed in America from Walsall, England, in 1907
- Mary B. Poppleton, who emigrated to the United States, in 1907
- Seline Poppleton, aged 23, who settled in America from Leeds, England, in 1910
- Charles W. Poppleton, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Leeds, England, in 1910
- Clifford Poppleton, aged 24, who landed in America from London, England, in 1915
- Andrew Jackson Poppleton (1830-1896), American politician, the second mayor of Omaha, Nebraska
- Earley Franklin Poppleton (1834-1899), American politician, U.S. Representative from Ohio
- Earley Franklin Poppleton (1834-1899), American Democrat politician, Member of Ohio State Legislature; U.S. Representative from Ohio 9th District, 1875-77
- Andrew Jackson Poppleton (1830-1896), American politician, Mayor of Omaha, Nebraska, 1858
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Poppleton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Poppleton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 January 2016 at 11:37.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!