Poppleton History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Poppleton surname is a habitational (local) name taken on from any of several place names in West Yorkshire. These place names derive from the Old English words "popel," which is thought to have meant "pebble," and "wella" which meant a "spring," or "stream."
Early Origins of the Poppleton family
The surname Poppleton was first found in Yorkshire at either Upper Poppleton or Nether Poppleton, villages and civil parishes that date back to Saxon times. The first record of the place name was found in c. 972 when it was listed as Popeltune.
By the time of the Domesday Book of 1086, the place was listed as Popletone. At that time, the villages and lands were given by Osbern De Arches to the Abbot of St Mary's in York. The name is derived from popel (pebble) and tun (hamlet, farm), and means "farmstead on pebbly soil." .
But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 14th century when John of Popplewell held estates in that shire in 1316. 
Early History of the Poppleton family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Poppleton research. Another 78 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1455, 1487, 1638, 1638 and 1708 are included under the topic Early Poppleton History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Poppleton Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Popplewell, Poplewell, Poplewell, Popplewel, Popple, Popplehale, Pophull, Pophull and many more.
Early Notables of the Poppleton family (pre 1700)
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Poppleton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Poppleton migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Poppleton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas H Poppleton, aged 47, who landed in New York in 1812 
- John Poppleton, aged 36, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1851 
Poppleton Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Helen Poppleton, aged 36, who landed in America from Walsall, England, in 1907
- Mary B. Poppleton, who immigrated to the United States, in 1907
- Seline Poppleton, aged 23, who settled in America from Leeds, England, in 1910
- Charles W. Poppleton, aged 26, who immigrated to the United States from Leeds, England, in 1910
- Clifford Poppleton, aged 24, who landed in America from London, England, in 1915
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Poppleton (post 1700) +
- Andrew Jackson Poppleton (1830-1896), American politician, the second mayor of Omaha, Nebraska
- Earley Franklin Poppleton (1834-1899), American politician, U.S. Representative from Ohio
- Earley Franklin Poppleton (1834-1899), American Democrat politician, Member of Ohio State Legislature; U.S. Representative from Ohio 9th District, 1875-77 
- Andrew Jackson Poppleton (1830-1896), American politician, Mayor of Omaha, Nebraska, 1858 
Related Stories +
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 22) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html