on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Poppleton family come from? What is the English Poppleton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Poppleton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Poppleton family history?The Poppleton surname is a habitational (local) name taken on from any of several place names in West Yorkshire. These place names derive from the Old English words "popel," which is thought to have meant "pebble," and "wella" which meant a "spring," or "stream."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Popplewell, Poplewell, Poplewell, Popplewel, Popple, Popplehale, Pophull, Pophull and many more.
First found in Yorkshire at either Upper Poppleton or Nether Poppleton, villages and civil parishes that date back to Saxon times. The first record of the place name was found in c. 972 when it was listed as Popeltune. By the time of the Domesday Book of 1086, the place was listed as Popletone. At that time, the villages and lands were given by Osbern De Arches to the Abbot of St Mary's in York. The name is derived from popel (pebble) and tun (hamlet, farm), and means "farmstead on pebbly soil." . But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 14th century when John of Popplewell held estates in that shire 1316.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Poppleton research. Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1455, 1487, 1638, 1638 and 1708 are included under the topic Early Poppleton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 51 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Poppleton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Poppleton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas H Poppleton, aged 47, landed in New York in 1812
- Jno Poppleton, aged 36, arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1851
Poppleton Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Helen Poppleton, aged 36, who landed in America from Walsall, England, in 1907
- Mary B. Poppleton, who emigrated to the United States, in 1907
- Seline Poppleton, aged 23, who settled in America from Leeds, England, in 1910
- Charles W. Poppleton, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Leeds, England, in 1910
- Clifford Poppleton, aged 24, who landed in America from London, England, in 1915
- Andrew Jackson Poppleton (1830-1896), American politician, the second mayor of Omaha, Nebraska
- Earley Franklin Poppleton (1834-1899), American politician, U.S. Representative from Ohio
- Earley Franklin Poppleton (1834-1899), American Democrat politician, Member of Ohio State Legislature; U.S. Representative from Ohio 9th District, 1875-77
- Andrew Jackson Poppleton (1830-1896), American politician, Mayor of Omaha, Nebraska, 1858
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
The Poppleton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Poppleton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 January 2016 at 11:37.
on orders of $85 or more