Ponder History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Ponder family
The surname Ponder was first found in Cambridgeshire where the family name was first referenced in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 when William le Pondere held estates in that shire. Looking back further to France, Geoffry and Gilbert Ponhere were listed in Normandy (1189-1195) and the same reference lists William Pontier there in 1198. 
Early History of the Ponder family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ponder research. Another 165 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, 1529, 1510, 1600 and 1550 are included under the topic Early Ponder History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ponder Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ponder, Ponde, Pounder, Pondre, Pounter, Ponter and many more.
Early Notables of the Ponder family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Ponder Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Ponder is the 2,297th most popular surname with an estimated 12,435 people with that name. 
Ponder migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ponder Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Ponder, who landed in Virginia in 1638 
- John Ponder, who settled in Virginia in 1658
- John Ponder, who settled in Maryland in 1674
- John Ponder, who landed in Maryland in 1674 
Ponder Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Ponder, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1807 
- Simon Ponder, who arrived in Mississippi in 1871 
- Simon Ponder was on record in Mississippi 1871
Ponder migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Ponder Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Winwood Ponder, aged 32, a carpenter, who arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Nimroud"
Contemporary Notables of the name Ponder (post 1700) +
- Catherine Ponder (b. 1927), American minister of the Unity Church
- Speers Gordon Ponder (1906-1985), career US Army officer in the Chemical Corps
- Willie Columbus Ponder (b. 1980), former professional American football player
- Charles Elmer Ponder (1893-1974), American professional baseball player
- Onezima Cecelia "Onie" Ponder (1898-2010), American supercentenarian
- David Earl Ponder (b. 1962), former American football defensive tackle
- Henry Ponder (b. 1928), American educator
- Christian Ponder, American football quarterback
- Jimmy Ponder (b. 1946), American jazz guitarist
- James Ponder (1819-1897), American merchant and politician
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Ponder +
- The Family of Abner Ponder by Jerry Ponder.
- Kentucky Ponders by Patricia Saupe.
- ^ The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X)
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)