Pleasant History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Pleasant surname comes the medieval (Old French) name Plaisance which meant "pleasant."
Early Origins of the Pleasant family
The surname Pleasant was first found in Suffolk
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that county.
Early History of the Pleasant family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pleasant research.Another 314 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, 1510, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Pleasant History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pleasant Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Pleasance, Pleesance, Pleasant, Pleasants, Plessant, Plesant, Plessance, Plessence, Plesance, Plessants, Plaisance, Plaisants, Plaissance and many more.
Early Notables of the Pleasant family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Pleasant Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Pleasant family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Pleasant Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Pleasant, who settled in Virginia in 1737
Pleasant Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- H. Pleasant, who was on record in San Francisco in 1851
- H Pleasant, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Contemporary Notables of the name Pleasant (post 1700)
- Reginald Lecarno Pleasant (b. 1962), American former professional NFL and CFL football defensive back who played from 1985 to 1997
- Mary Ellen Pleasant (1814-1817), African American entrepreneur and abolitionist; she worked on the Underground Railroad across many states, a friend and financial supporter of John Brown
- Franklin Pierce Mount "Frank" Pleasant Jr. (1884-1937), American football player, track and field athlete, and coach of football, basketball, and baseball, posthumously inducted into the American Indian Athletic Hall of Fame (1973)
- Anthony Devon Pleasant (b. 1968), American football defensive line coach
- Ruffin Golson Pleasant (1871-1937), American politician, 36th Governor of Louisiana from 1916–1920
- Henry Clay Pleasant (1833-1880), coal mining engineer and a brigadier general in the Union Army during the American Civil War
- James Pleasant Jr. (1769-1836), American politician
Pleasant Family Crest Products
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)