of 1086 where it was first listed as Pilsberie.
At that time, the lands were property of Henry de Ferrers (also known as Henri de Ferrières), a Norman soldier from a noble Norman family from Ferrières-Saint-Hilaire, Eure in Upper
. He lost his brother William (Guillaume) in the battle but he survived to be granted 210 manors throughout
. The place name literally means "fortified place of a man called Pil," from the Old English
Pilsbury Castle was a Norman motte-and-bailey castle located nearby the village overlooking the River Dove.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pilsbury research.Another 105 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600 and 1137 are included under the topic Early Pilsbury History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.