During the Middle Ages, Italians adopted the patronymic
system of surname creation, as it complemented the prevailing Feudal
System. In Italy the popularity of patronymic type of surname is also due to the fact that during the Christian era, people often named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Petrucci came ultimately from the personal name
Pietro, or Peter, which is itself derived from the Greek word "petrus" meaning "rock."
Early Origins of the Petrucci family
The surname Petrucci was first found in Florence (Italian: Firenze), where the first on record appears to be Domenico Petrucci, in 1439. His son Cesare was an administrator in Prato in 1470; and Cesare's son, Nicolo was an ambassador to the imperial court in Rome in 1491. There was a powerful family of this name in Siena in the 15th century. From the Petrucci di Pesaro family line, Donato, Francesco and Giambattista Petrucci were all ennobled by the Polish king Giovanni III in 1680.
Early History of the Petrucci family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Petrucci research.Another 229 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1450, 1466, 1490, 1512, 1517, 1539, and 1863 are included under the topic Early Petrucci History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Petrucci Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Petrucci, Petrucelli, Petrocelli, Petrocchi and others.
Early Notables of the Petrucci family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Pandolfo Petrucci (c.1450-1512), ruler of the city of Siena and one of the most powerful men in Itlay; Alfonso Petrucci (c.1490-1517), Italian... Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Petrucci Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Petrucci family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Petrucci Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Cocifissa Petrucci, aged 29, who arrived in America from Aquilla, Italy, in 1904
- Cesare Petrucci, aged 18, who arrived in America from Carsolair, Italy, in 1907
- Angelo Petrucci, aged 27, who arrived in America from Guglionesi, Italy, in 1910
- Alessandro Petrucci, aged 43, who arrived in America from Senigallia, Italy, in 1911
- Biagio Petrucci, aged 17, who arrived in America from Cagli, Italy, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Petrucci (post 1700)
- A. J. Petrucci, American professional wrestler
- Roxy Petrucci (b. 1962), former American drummer
- John Petrucci (b. 1967), American guitarist
- Loretto Petrucci (1929-2016), Italian professional road bicycle racer, winner of the Milan-San Remo race in 1952 and 1953
- Luigi Petrucci (b. 1956), Italian film and television actor
- Giovanni Petrucci (b. 1945), Italian sports director
- Pandolfo Petrucci (1452-1512), ruler of the Italian city of Siena
- Ottaviano Petrucci (1466-1539), Italian printer
- Cinzia Petrucci (b. 1955), retired Italian shot putter