Petley History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Petley family
The surname Petley was first found in Kent where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that county.
Early History of the Petley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Petley research. Another 136 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, 1510, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Petley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Petley Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Petley, Petlie, Peteley, Petely, Pettlie, Pettly and many more.
Early Notables of the Petley family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Petley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Petley migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Petley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Petley, aged 22, who landed in Virginia in 1635 
Petley migration to New Zealand +
Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:
Petley Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Captain Petley, British settler travelling from London aboard the ship "True Briton" arriving in Auckland, New Zealand on 5th February 1853 
Contemporary Notables of the name Petley (post 1700) +
- William Petley (b. 1963), American professional football player
- Robert Petley (b. 1952), professional Australian rules football player
- Frank Petley (1872-1945), British actor
- Roy Petley (b. 1951), contemporary British artist
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ New Zealand Yesteryears Passenger Lists 1800 to 1900 (Retrieved 26th March 2019). Retrieved from http://www.yesteryears.co.nz/shipping/passlist.html