Pelton History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Pelton family
The surname Pelton was first found in Berwickshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times in the parish of Dunbar. Their history at this place is before the Norman Conquest of England by Duke William in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Pelton family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pelton research. Another 83 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1231 and 1312 are included under the topic Early Pelton History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pelton Spelling Variations
Although the name, Pelton, appeared in many references, from time to time, the surname was shown with the spellings Belton, Beltone, Beleton, Beldan, Belden, Belston, Belting, Beldon and many more.
Early Notables of the Pelton family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Pelton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Pelton family to Ireland
Some of the Pelton family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pelton migration to the United States +
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of cholera, typhoid, dysentery or small pox. In North America, some of the first immigrants who could be considered kinsmen of the Pelton family name Pelton, or who bore a variation of the surname were
Pelton Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- George Pelton, who arrived in Virginia in 1622 
- John Pelton, who arrived in Maryland or Virginia in 1672 
Pelton migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Pelton Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James, Pelton Jr., who landed in Canada in 1828
- Rollin H Pelton, who arrived in Canada in 1832
- Elijah Pelton, who landed in Canada in 1841
- Phineas, Pelton Jr., who landed in Canada in 1841
Pelton migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Pelton Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Samuel Robert Pelton, aged 39, a carpenter, who arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Switzerland"
- Alfred Francis Pelton, aged 18, a labourer, who arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Switzerland"
Contemporary Notables of the name Pelton (post 1700) +
- Joe Pelton (b. 1977), American business analyst and poker tournament player, as of 2008, his total live tournament winnings exceed 2,200,000
- Guy Ray Pelton (1824-1890), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York (1855-1857)
- Jack J. Pelton, American former CEO of Cessna Aircraft Company
- Elizabeth Anne Pelton (b. 1993), American seven-time gold medalist swimmer
- Lester Allan Pelton (1829-1908), American inventor of the Pelton water wheel, at that time the most efficient design of the impulse water turbine, awarded the Elliott Cresson Medal, recently inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame
- Agnes Lawrence Pelton (1881-1961), American modernist painter
- Marvin Lee Pelton (b. 1950), American academic administrator and college president
- Shawn Pelton (b. 1963), American studio and session drummer
- Ronald William Pelton (b. 1942), American National Security Agency (NSA) intelligence analyst
- Robert Young Pelton (b. 1955), Canadian author, journalist and documentary filmmaker
Historic Events for the Pelton family +
- Mr. Benjamin David J. Pelton, Canadian Assistant Steward from Canada who worked aboard the Empress of Ireland and survived the sinking but later died in hospital 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Commemoration Empress of Ireland 2014. (Retrieved 2014, June 17) . Retrieved from http://www.empress2014.ca/seclangen/listepsc1.html