100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Pelton family come from? What is the English Pelton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Pelton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Pelton family history?
Although the name, Pelton, appeared in many references, from time to time, the surname was shown with the spellings Belton, Beltone, Beleton, Beldan, Belden, Belston, Belting, Beldon and many more.
First found in Berwickshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times in the parish of Dunbar. Their history at this place is before the Norman Conquest of England by Duke William in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pelton research. Another 165 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1231 and 1312 are included under the topic Early Pelton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Pelton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Pelton family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 59 words(4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of cholera, typhoid, dysentery or small pox. In North America, some of the first immigrants who could be considered kinsmen of the Pelton family name Pelton, or who bore a variation of the surname were
Pelton Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- George Pelton, who arrived in Virginia in 1622
- John Pelton, who arrived in Maryland or Virginia in 1672
Pelton Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James, Pelton Jr., who landed in Canada in 1828
- Rollin H Pelton, who arrived in Canada in 1832
- Elijah Pelton, who landed in Canada in 1841
- Phineas, Pelton Jr., who landed in Canada in 1841
Pelton Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Samuel Robert Pelton, aged 39, a carpenter, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Switzerland"
- Alfred Francis Pelton, aged 18, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Switzerland"
- Guy Ray Pelton (1824-1890), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York (1855-1857)
- Joe Pelton (b. 1977), American business analyst and poker tournament player, as of 2008, his total live tournament winnings exceed $2,200,000
- Jack J. Pelton, American former CEO of Cessna Aircraft Company
- Elizabeth Anne Pelton (b. 1993), American seven-time gold medalist swimmer
- Lester Allan Pelton (1829-1908), American inventor of the Pelton water wheel, at that time the most efficient design of the impulse water turbine, awarded the Elliott Cresson Medal, recently inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame
- Agnes Lawrence Pelton (1881-1961), American modernist painter
- Marvin Lee Pelton (b. 1950), American academic administrator and college president
- Shawn Pelton (b. 1963), American studio and session drummer
- Ronald William Pelton (b. 1942), American National Security Agency (NSA) intelligence analyst
- Mr. Benjamin David J. Pelton, Canadian Assistant Steward from Canada who worked aboard the Empress of Ireland and survived the sinking on May 29th 1914 but later died in hospital
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
The Pelton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Pelton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 May 2015 at 08:29.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!