Patience History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Patience family
The surname Patience was first found in Dumfriesshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Dhùn Phris), a Southern area, bordering on England that today forms part of the Dumfries and Galloway Council Area, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the ancient Kings of Scotland to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the Patience family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Patience research. Another 105 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1190, 1235, 1376, 1472, 1605, 1590, 1626, 1686, 1663, 1715 and 1715 are included under the topic Early Patience History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Patience Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Padyn, Padian, Padgen, Padine, Paddon and others.
Early Notables of the Patience family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Alexander Peden (1626-1686), also known as Prophet Peden, one of the leading forces in the Covenanter movement.
After the Restoration of Charles II, Peden had to leave his parish under the Middletons Ejectment Act in 1663. For ten years he wandered far and wide, bringing comfort and succor to his co-religionists, and often very narrowly escaping capture, spending some of his time...
Another 69 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Patience Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Patience family to Ireland
Some of the Patience family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Patience migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Patience Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Arthur Patience, who arrived in Virginia in 1657 
Contemporary Notables of the name Patience (post 1700) +
- Luke Patience (b. 1986), Scottish silver medalist sailor at the 2012 Summer Olympics
- Sally Patience, Australian actress and voice-over artist
- Olivier Patience (b. 1980), French professional tennis player
- Patience Wheatcroft (b. 1951), British journalist, editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal Europe
- Patience Latting (b. 1918), American politician, Mayor of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 1971-83 
- Patience R. Ludlam, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 1940 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html